Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone post some good insight and/or tips for good results with painting with a rattle can enamel? Any specific coverage motions or overall tips that make it easier and have better results? The surface will be sanded, rust primed, and ready to paint. Just looking for some tips that might avoid the obvious observer.

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
361 Posts
:smoking:

Andy, The best tip & results I get from a rattle-can are to use the spray gun type of handles that attach to the top of the can. About 1-buck each at Wal-Mart and they last forever. For a good finish dont worry about wasting paint and make long even overlapping strokes. I am painting my whole Cub with rattle cans and people who have seen it do not believe its painted with rattle cans.

·
Premium Member
4,116 Posts
Degreasing your parts, using primer that is compatable with the top coat, dust free environment, cleanliness, buy all your rattle cans at the same store on the same day out of the same box if possible and buy at least 2 more than you think you need, make that 3 more... maybe 4.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I use good steady side to side motions slightly overlapping each spray pattern. Depending upon what each brand recommends, I try to hold the can between 6 to 12 inches from what I am spraying. High humidity really negatively effects the paint bonding and drying to the surface well. So try to paint during dryer times of day at a preferred temp around 75 - 80 degrees. I applies each coat of paint fairly thin and allow enough time for the paint to FULLY dry. The time required with vary with temp and humidity. When the paint has dried good, I go back over with the next coat. I try to apply 5 or 6 coats but this can vary depending upon the paint. Some require more, some less.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, 5 or 6 coats...lots and lots of cans! :D

I have heard nothing but GREAT THINGS from EVERYONE on the Walmart brand spray can "spray gun" nozzles! :D Thanks for the support there. Well, I am going to tear into the gearbox a little bit and start replacing some misc parts etc before I make it look nice and pretty. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by admin
Wow, 5 or 6 coats...lots and lots of cans! :D

I have heard nothing but GREAT THINGS from EVERYONE on the Walmart brand spray can "spray gun" nozzles! :D Thanks for the support there. Well, I am going to tear into the gearbox a little bit and start replacing some misc parts etc before I make it look nice and pretty. Will keep you posted.
I put the coats on very thin to aid drying so it is not as much paint as you think. You can spray on 2 or 3 heavier coats but I'm not sure how they will set up in this humidity.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Andy
Read the can. On some Rustoleum paints you have a small window to do all your coats. I think most have a recoat time of
only one hour and then you have to wait 48 hours to recoat. It is very small print under directions. I found out the hard way years ago. I painted a mini bike frame. The next day I put on a second coat and it lifted the first coat and turned it into a wrinkle job. Had to take it all down to metal again. Just because it is dry does not mean it is cured.
Rodster:mad:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
The spray gun nozzle will save your finger.:D

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Why noy just use a spray gun and compressor? The turbine setup from TP Tools works great. Very low overspray and heated air fed to the spray gun eliminates any moisture problems.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turbine setups are nice, but they go from $599 - $799 for these setups from tptools and others.... Not quite what I had in mind for this little project, but would be nice to have.

·
Registered
361 Posts
:smoking:

Also everybody has there favorite brand of rattle-can paint.

For my cub the best I have found is (XO-RUST) brand labled Tractor Red. It applies very nicely and flows out to a very high gloss.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Good tip;s already given, and lots of luck this time of year in your area finding a day that is not all that humid..............:D Other than not as good in bonding to the material being painted, your darker colors will blush pretty bad and most if they donot come out with a whitish tint will be flat instead of gloss. Right now I am running into this problem when I am trying to paint some decorative iron work I made for some folks..........harder than heck to get a nice high gloss black finish with all this humidity.

My favorite brand of paint in a rattle can is Krylon as number one choice, and Plastic Kote as #2 choice and Valspar as #3. If I can't get those brands I don't buy it period. Have no use at all for any rustoleum product. Krylon dries fast retains a good color and gloss and can be recoated anytime.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Pay attention to the label, and read it well. It would also be a good idea to get a couple more cans than planned, and experiment a little...it helps to "know" the paint. Some you can give a couple quick tack coats, then basically blow it on without runs. Others seem to run regardless of how careful you are.

There is a particular hobby type paint (one part polyurethane) that I have used for quite a while. It can be applied to basically anything, and I have really gotten used to it. I have even went as far as spraying the can into a paper funnel and into a glass jar to be airbrushed. Heres a pic of a boat I just did for a buddy of mine. The dark blue was applied with a spray can.

Good luck,
Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, nice paint job. So are you saying you funnelled the rattle can paint into a paper funnel and then into a spray jar and airbrushed it? Wouldn't it be easier to buy airbrush paint already ready to be poured? (just curious not be judgemental) Really nice work. How long have you been painting bodies (assuming lexan type) RC bodies?

Well now I got so many different directions to go in. I guess a little practice and trial and error may be in order. :D

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Chipmaker
My favorite brand of paint in a rattle can is Krylon as number one choice, and Plastic Kote as #2 choice and Valspar as #3. If I can't get those brands I don't buy it period. Have no use at all for any rustoleum product. Krylon dries fast retains a good color and gloss and can be recoated anytime.
Are you saying you have no time for Rustoleum because it is a bad paint or more expensive or what?

Bye

·
Registered
477 Posts
Admin...Yes, I have sprayed the paint from the can to a glass jar quite a few times (as was done here with the yellow, orange and red). The only reason I have done this is because the paint is only available in spray cans, and after using probably 50 cans of it, I know the paint very well. The thought of screwing up a paint job with a paint I am unfamiliar with makes it hard to deviate from something I feel comfortable with.

After spraying into the glass jar, it has to sit for awhile for the bubbles to dissipate. I can then thin it with laquer thinner and start spraying. I could also just go ahead and spray it with the can, but the airbrush atomizes it alot better for a faded paint job (one color to the next).

This boat is fiberglass, and was white gelcoat when I started. I paint clear lexan bodies for RC cars as well, but that is ploycarbonate paint to resist chipping when the body flexes. Luckily, that paint comes ready to pour!

Anyway, just follow directions; sand primer with appropriate grit paper, re-coat within the suggested time frame, let cure as suggested, etc. Also, spray the areas not easily seen first, then the parts that will really show. This will help avoid getting overspray on the parts that stand out while trying to spray the hidden areas. In other words, if you are going to paint the grill and front axle, paint the axle first, then finish up with a good coat on the grill. It's better to get overspray on the axle from spraying the grill, rather than the other way around.

Another suggestion is if you are going to spray it in your shed or garage, it might help to mist the floor with a water hose before painting to avoid dust being kicked up.

Only other thing I can think of is the obvious- wear a respirator!

As for a decent paint that is pretty durable, I have had good luck with Dupli-Color. You can find it at Wally World.

Good luck,
Greg

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Greg couldn't you just turn the can upside down and spray the aerosol out then punch a hole it the can and pour the paint out into the jar:question: And then save the rest of paint in a jar.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts