Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been kinda looking for a nice play RC boat for messing around in the water, when we are just haninging around sunning, and stuff in the big boat. Not looking for something real fast, heck a slow tug type boat would be cool. But looking for something thats not just a cheap toy, but on the other hand, not a to of money. Any ideas?? What would I likly be looking to spend for this kind of thing? I am real new to RC, so realy have NO idea.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Paul- I'm assuming you are talking about an electric boat, right? For nitro power, you are looking at a few hundred minumum, and probably wouldnt be the best for things such as running it from a real boat (alot of chasing and retrieving). The upper scale electrics can be pretty fast. I bought my son a $70 boat from Radio Shack, and it is boring...wont even plane out. I guess what i'm trying to say is that a $70-$80 boat might be cheap, but you might get bored with it after the first time on the water.

I'd go to www.towerhobbies and look at the boats they have. They have a great selection, and many different price ranges.

Another option would be to go to www.rcx.com and look at used boats in the boat section. If I can be of any help, let me know.

One more option would be to build a wooden boat kit and install a simple little 2 stroke line trimmer engine. Even with a decent radio, you could still get into a 3 or 4 foot boat that goes 30-35 MPH for under a couple hundred. ..big enough to run a few "cold ones" around the swim zone to your thirsty buddies. LOL

Good luck,
Greg

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Fusion1970
know.

One more option would be to build a wooden boat kit and install a simple little 2 stroke line trimmer engine. Even with a decent radio, you could still get into a 3 or 4 foot boat that goes 30-35 MPH for under a couple hundred. ..big enough to run a few "cold ones" around the swim zone to your thirsty buddies. LOL

Good luck,
Greg
I have been thinking about that. Had an old speed boat kit I started to build about 25 years ago, but never finished. Heck it's probably STILL in my Moms celler somewere:D :D :D Probably missing parts though.

Now I have seen the boats with the trimmer motors in them, and all seem to be BIG bucks. Can you use just an old engine off a trimmer?? Or do you need to get one setup for boats? I WAS thinking electric, but the trimmer enging sounds good. Hard to charge batterys on the water, and a trimmer engine is liminted just by the tank size. Hmmmmm got me thinking there. Nitro is out. Little to pricy, and not as easy as the others. Thanks for the tips. I welcome any more.....

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Ingersoll444...

Have you considered a RC Sailboat ?

The power boats look good but using one alone is kind of boring (IMO)
Last year my wife got me a RC Laser Sailboat.
I find it a lot more fun than an RC Power boat. It takes a while to learn
to “Read the Wind” and to get the boat to do what you want it to do.
I’ll bet you won’t be bored.

The RC Laser is a bit pricey but it is very well built and very easy to set-up
and break-down. If you look around you will see less expensive RC Sailboats.

Here is a link to give you some info on the Sailboat.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/crclaser.html

·
Registered
477 Posts
Paul- Yes, you can take an engine out of a line trimmer and make it work. It would take a little creativity, but it is done all the time. You would need to fabricate some motor mounts that consist of basic aluminum angle stock. Whatever engine you went with, you could probably find someone who makes them and has them in stock, but theres not really much to them.

Im helping a guy put a fiberglass boat together that is powered by a John Deere engine (I think made by Homelite). He's even using the flexible shaft as a prop shaft.

After the hull and the engine, a few things you would need is a waterproof radio box, fuel tank, hardware such as strut, rudder, possibly trim tabs, a prop and a radio.

Like you said, the little engines that are specifically built for RC boats can be way expensive. You could spend $500 on a really good radio (transmitter), or even a few hundred on anodized hardware just for looks, but it's definately not needed.

Call around to lawnmower shops...you should be able to find an engine for next to nothing.

Radios (transmitter, receiver, servos) can be found at good prices too. With a gas engine, I would suggest an FM radio as opposed to an AM radio, and a resistor type spark plug to avoid interference...but then again, I know a couple gas boaters with AM radios, and they have never had any problems.

One more thing, even with a gas boat, you would still need batteries...but its pretty painless. I use NiMH batteries in my boats, 1450 mAh. I charge them before going to the pond, and they last all day long- and thats even with a high torque steering servo.

HTH,
Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts