Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new trimmer. I've looked at John Deere and Stihl. Also looked at Cub Cadet, Echo, and Husqvarna at HD and Lowe's. The Deere seemed to be the best balanced of them all. I was looking at high-end homeowner or light professional types. Deere XT120LE or XT140LE, Stihl FS55R, Echo SRM211SP or SRM230SP, Husqvarna 123L or 323L. Anyone familiar with any of these or have any other suggestions. I live in a small town so selection is somewhat limited unless I go to Nashville. Thanks, Hutch

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'll be the first to tell you that if you get the Stihl you won't be disappointed. I have the KH-85 split boom trimmer. It a good machine. I have only had it almost a month and put about 8 hours on it. It is awesome!:D

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
ive had an echo for 6 years now.. pre-HD selling them...
Its been great not a problem does what its supposed to do..starts up each spring without my ever doing anything to it...

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Stewart, How is Norman? I lived in some apartments on NW24th (forget what the intersecting road was) for about a year back in '80. Worked at the GM plant.
I like the Stihls. Some have that EZ start option. I really don't care much about it but if it'd get my wife to weed I'd spring for it. The guy started one for me and you just pull the cord out slowly and away it goes.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Norman is awesome, it leans toward the tree hugging side on some issues but you have to expect that for a college town!:smiles: It has most everything you need. I found my Stihl at the Ace hardware on Main and they have a small engine shop in the back. They beat everybodys price and even gave me 10% off that. Good people. I have heard good things about most of the names you mentioned. I would look on the lawn guys trailer in your are and see what they are using. That is a good measure of what will last! :money:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stewart, just pulled up a map of Norman and realized I don't know where I lived. It was either 12th ave NE or 24th ave NE(Ithink 24th). I think it was 24th ave NE and Rock Creek Drive. Lotta years behind me since I was there. Hutch

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by Hutch001b
I am in the market for a new trimmer. I've looked at John Deere and Stihl. Also looked at Cub Cadet, Echo, and Husqvarna at HD and Lowe's. The Deere seemed to be the best balanced of them all. I was looking at high-end homeowner or light professional types. Deere XT120LE or XT140LE, Stihl FS55R, Echo SRM211SP or SRM230SP, Husqvarna 123L or 323L. Anyone familiar with any of these or have any other suggestions. I live in a small town so selection is somewhat limited unless I go to Nashville. Thanks, Hutch
Hutch, I would recommend the Stihl FS110 RX. You will love it. Nashville?????? You sound like you are in Hopkinsville. Just down the road from me. ;)

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chief, I'm in Bowling Green. I have a house here and an apartment in Spring Hill, TN. I'm officially a TN resident because I'm there more than I'm in BG. I've been here in Bowling Green for the past 8 weeks recuperating. Been passing through Hopkinsville a lot lately going to KY Lake fishing.
I'll look at the FS110. Thanks, Hutch

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by Hutch001b
Chief, I'm in Bowling Green. I have a house here and an apartment in Spring Hill, TN. I'm officially a TN resident because I'm there more than I'm in BG. I've been here in Bowling Green for the past 8 weeks recuperating. Been passing through Hopkinsville a lot lately going to KY Lake fishing.
I'll look at the FS110. Thanks, Hutch
I bet you drive right by my house on the way to Kentucky Lake. I live right across the street from Dyer's Creek (part of Lake Barkley)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The only bad thing about the 110 is the price!! It is over $300 here and I couldn't come up with the cash. If you take care of a lot of property it would be worth the cash. Over at the lawnsite they say it it a powerfull machine! How much property are you taking care of?:smoking:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 4.5 acres but only weed around the house, ditch, shed, fence, trees, all the usual. I don't have a lot to weed but a lot of it is tough crabgrass so I want something powerful to eat through the stuff.
$300 + is a little hard to justify for me. I'm having a hard time with $200.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Deere product is private label and they have a way of getting in and out of this type of equipment.
Stihl fs55 is heavy home/light commercial trimmer. fS110rx is the future ...4mix-30cc engine POEWERFUL machine......fs80 is our workhouse commercial trimmer and is priced down here in florida at 279.95.
Whatever you do.Go Stihl.......many years of service,always get parts/service...wherever you go.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Opinion time....Buy what you can afford. With 4.5 acres you could really use a commercial unit. The 110 is exactly that and a price to go with it! I started out with a craftsman curved shaft single line unit. The Stihl is definatly a step up! Good luck with the purchase and let me know if I can help. There are some good sales going on right now and maybe something will crop up!:whistle:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Admin, thats awesome. I have never really thought too much about Cub Cadet line trimmers. Looks very nice, and I'm glad you like it.

About 10 years ago when I was cutting grass, we used Shindaiwa's. Very rugged trimmers, but not for the average home-owner. I would also trust anything from Stihl.

I myself use a Craftsman straight shaft line trimmer. It was given to me by my bro-in-law for getting his tractor running and sharpening the blades. It is a few years old, and last year, I put it through hell. It's the kind that has the replaceable pieces of line, rather than a spool that you bump on the pavement. Although somewhat awkward at first, I like it. It too does the job.

OK, Im a moron...I posted on the linked thread. LOL I cut and pasted it here.

Greg

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I own a FS-80 and the reason I bought it is because we use them where I work.They get abused there and used hard many days.They hold up to the punishment.There $259.00 here.They also have a tap and go head that works only one I ever used that does.I have tried many different brands.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I own a Stihl FS-52 that I bought used in the early 90's. It has been trouble free, with an air filter element and a sparkplug being the only things I've replaced on the motor. I replaced the "tap and go" single-feed head with a dual-feed head several years ago. Some times the line will weld or pinch in the spool, but overall it performs well.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I'm probably going to go with the Stihl FS 80. It's $279 in Bowling Green, KY. I'm gonna look here in TN at Ace hardware and see what they get for 'em. Hutch

1 - 20 of 22 Posts