Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wow talk about sticker shock... I just got my oil tank filled up... friggin heating oil... 1.97$ per gallon!!!! ouch...

its gonna be a long cold winter....

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john
wow talk about sticker shock... I just got my oil tank filled up... friggin heating oil... 1.97$ per gallon!!!! ouch...

Good time and reason to start looking into alternate heating sources SJ.

Wood does it for me as I'm all electric!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Glad I have LP and its around $1.19 you guys should switch to propane.Yep hard to beat propane for all your heating needs.Remember propane and propane accesories are the way to go.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by johndeere
Glad I have LP and its around $1.19 you guys should switch to propane.Yep hard to beat propane for all your heating needs.Remember propane and propane accesories are the way to go.
JD,
just curious how current is that price quote of 1.19?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I paid $1.29/gallon for propane last week -- propane and butane are by products of gasoline production -- the higher the volume of gas refined . the closer to total capacity of production, the cheaper the price of propane and butane in relation to gasoline-- - your oil dealer made about 50 cents a gallon profit from the wholesale price-minus his expnese of course --

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Originally posted by ducati996
$1.249 per gal oil.....it was a 2 year contract good until Dec 2005

Ducati
Duc
That was a good price a year or two ago, but I'd be a little concerned with what kind af crap that oil company will be sending you now that they have to honor that price.

You may be getting the stuff they pump out of tanks gone bad.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Originally posted by Archdean
JD,
just curious how current is that price quote of 1.19?
That was my summer fill price.It is im sure around the price BigL mentioned now.I sighned a contract for 900 gallon and it is locked in at $1.39 being the highest I would have to pay until March 31 05.Seems there are still several people that use heating oil.I remember those days just not very popular around here anymore.Deisel fuel is expensive also now days.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Propane is not the energy cost efficient fuel you think it is. It takes approx. 1.5 gallons of propane to equal the same btu value of 1 gallon of heating oil. At $1.94 per 1.5 gallons to $1.97 per gallon for heating oil; it is about equal as far as cost to achieve the same btu output.

Comparing Heating Fuels

As the cost of oil comes back down as the Gulf oil production rigs gradually come back on line; heating oil may not be so painful. You might want to put off purchasing heating oil as long as possible as from what I have heard, the market cannot continue to support the current prices.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Chief,

If I may add even if it does remain high in the NE Uncle Sugar will be under pressure to subsidize it for the Lib block in that section !

Anyone doubt that a nightly display of shivering lonely little old ladies with their pooch in a sweater will not be a staple on the nightly news!

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
WOW JD thats CHEAP!! I use propane, and paid a LOT more then that LAST year. Hate to see what it will be THIS year.:mad:

Chief,

My thoughts for useing propane when I built this house was that yes, it would cost a bit more to heat with it, but the savings of using a gas hot water heater, over electric would help offset that. PLUS it gives me a gas stove. and thats something I cant live without.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Originally posted by sixchows
Duc
That was a good price a year or two ago, but I'd be a little concerned with what kind af crap that oil company will be sending you now that they have to honor that price.

You may be getting the stuff they pump out of tanks gone bad.

Not concerned at all...too much for them to lose if caught...

·
Registered
494 Posts
The price of fuel is way up and sure will take a bite out of wallet. People like me will just pay the increase and no big deal. The ones I really feel sorry for are the elderly on very tight budgets. Shame some will have to choose between food and warmth and they usually choose to to warm. Might be a good idea if you have an elderly neighbor to check in on them this winter. See if you can assist, that is if they will accept any help. At least give it a try.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Well other than for electric power I hate to have to rely solely on any utility or product for my living conditions. Yet another good reason for living in the south. Folks existed here for many years before the advent of air conditioning, and many still do live here without AC. There is always a nice shade tree to crawl under and kick back. But its hell trying to stay warm when its -30 outside and your oil tank is empty or the LP tank is empty or the electrical power is down due to ice breaking down powerlines..........or worse yet your wallet is low and you do not have sufficient $$ for the minimum load for delivery...........Still yet another reason to have supplemental heat like wood........Its all I heat with and will do so as long as I am able to cut and split it. I am setting on over 6 fully cut seasoned cords right now, stored out of the weather, and that will last a long time here in Alabama. And I still have a heap of wood to cut up and split thanks to Ivan's generosity. We did turn the AC back on about 2 weeks ago as the temps have been in the high 80's low 90's, but we could have done without it. Temps are supposed to start to cool down next week.........gonna be in the 70's............:D

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
hey upper michigan-- we have a 2400 sq ft. berm house [ bermed on 3 sides] R 40 in attic-- R 21 in upper walls and R 17 down in ground area-- propane stove[ looks like wood burner] downstairs, gas oven and stove, gas water heater, gas furnace-- gas dryer ; here near st. louis, mo. we use about 500-600 gallons per year for all year- now electric and water are somewhat expensive though -- - nothing is really cheap or free anymore

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
propane up our way is running 2.57$ pretty much cheaper to use oil..
i do not really understand why propane is so high this year.. except demand and those who run it know we are screwed becasue oil prices are so high..

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john

Should make Christmas shopping a breeze...

Sweaters and wool socks for everybody!!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts