Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, last night I re-wrote the book on vulgarity.

I pulled a wheel off my DGT6K, let all the air out, and am ready to dump 6 jugs of WW fluid per wheel.

The problem is, I cannot break the bead on the tire. (I managed to do it fairly easily on my LTX1000). I jumped, I crow barred, I even ran it over with my station wagon. I cannot break the bead.

So, 2 questions ...

1. Is there a secret way to break the bead on a tire? I don't wanna have to haul it into a shop so they can charge me an arm and a leg.
2. Is there a way to pump in the fluid through the valve? Again, I'm not looking to spend a lot of dough to buy and obscure part I will only use once. I have a pump that I am thinking of hooking up to a valve like the kind you find on a can of 'spare tire in can' stuff. Will this work?

thanks
SnowMower
(sorry if this topic has been covered, I didn't see it in any old posts)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
snowmower…

I have filled 2 sets (4 tires) 26x12x12 of lug tires with 50% / 50%
antifreeze / water using a portable air tank. (the kind of tank you fill
with air, then take it to the tire your filling) The tank looks like it’s
about 5 gallons. It has a drain plug, a hose for filling a tire and a valve
stem to connect an air compressor hose to so you can pressurize the
holding tank. I saw this posted a while ago and tried it, it works.

First, remover the tire from the tractor.
Remove the valve stem guts from the tires valve stem.
Put 1 gallon of liquid in the tank. (through the drain plug), replace the plug.
Connect the hose from the tank to the valve stem on the tire.
Turn the tank up-side-down so the liquid is at the hose outlet
Slightly pressurize the tank (7-8 psi max) using your air compressor.

The air pressure above the liquid in the tank will push the liquid through
the hose and into the tire. You will hear when the tank is empty of liquid
because the sound changes. (like drawing thru a straw when the glass is empty)

Remove the hose from the tire valve and allow any air pressure out of the tire.
Refill the tank with another gallon of liquid and keep repeating until the
Tire is about 75-80% filled with liquid.
Replace the tire valve stem guts and fill the tire with air to the correct pressure.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AEGT5000. I'm afraid I don't have one of those portable air tank, so I don't want to spend the cash. So ...

You know the saying, time is money. Well, I have a lot more time than money. I managed to squeeze 6 WW fluid jugs per wheel last night. It only took me about 3 hours.:eek:

Here is what I did. I have a fluid pump, the type used for changing the lower unit oil in my outboard.

I bought one of those "spare tire in a can" thingies and pulled the hose of since it had the proper attachment to connect the valve. I emptied the tires completely of air, then pumped in a jug. After each jug, I would let out anymore air pressure that built up.

So, if it is a poor man's pump you need, I think I have found a working (albeit slow) solution.

SnowMower

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/74500/74753.jpg

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is really resurrecting a dead thread, but did you guys put fluid in your tires with or without tubes?

I'm thinking of going the fluid route, but right now my tires are tubeless and wondered if I'd have to break the tire down and put tubes in it first...

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Tom,

Good threads are never dead...the just slip into the archive abyss...:D

Thanks for bringing this back up...I learned something I can use to inexpensively solve a traction problem I've got.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Originally posted by 911radioman
This is really resurrecting a dead thread, but did you guys put fluid in your tires with or without tubes?

I'm thinking of going the fluid route, but right now my tires are tubeless and wondered if I'd have to break the tire down and put tubes in it first...

911 I run fluids in tubless tires....to put tubes in would be cost prohibitive and time wasting. We used the method aegt5k used and it went very smoothly...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Originally posted by Ernieg
911 I run fluids in tubless tires....to put tubes in would be cost prohibitive and time wasting. We used the method aegt5k used and it went very smoothly...
Thanks, Ernie. I think I can get hold of one of those portable air tanks and give it a whirl.

So what would be a better fluid to add? Washer fluid? Anti-freeze/water mix? I know I don't want anything to do with calcium chloride. I'd like to keep my wheels for more than a year! :D

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts

Ive been thinking this one myself. WW fluid is flamable. REAL flamable. Granted, probably safe in this use, but I still have my reserves. Normal antifreeze is deadly to anything that drinks it, if it leaks. OK you would have to have a leak, but you get my point. Now my idea was finding some RV type antifreeze. Just seems safer to me. Granted, when I do do my wheels, I assume I will just use what I find on sale.:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444

Ive been thinking this one myself. WW fluid is flamable. REAL flamable. Granted, probably safe in this use, but I still have my reserves. Normal antifreeze is deadly to anything that drinks it, if it leaks. OK you would have to have a leak, but you get my point. Now my idea was finding some RV type antifreeze. Just seems safer to me. Granted, when I do do my wheels, I assume I will just use what I find on sale.:D
I'm really torn as to whether or not I want to do this or not. I was just doing a Google search for "fluid in tires" and I read one article stating that there have been instances of sheared axles in Garden Tractors with hydros (mine is a hydro) due to the sudden and sharp change of direction from forward to reverse and the fluid suddenly going from one direction to another.

So... I don't really know what I'll do. I put 4-55# rear wheel weights on it yesterday (I'll either remove them or go down to only 2 after plowing my garden), and that will probably be all I'll ever need.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I would think the 4 weights would be enough for you. Normaly when you go to fluid fill, its eather becouse you have some issue that needs more then that, or just becouse its cheeper then the wheel weights. I would try the wheel weights and see how it goes. In my case I want the weight in the FRONT wheels. I have made front wheel weights, but need more to off set heavy rear mounted attachments.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WW fluid is flamable. REAL flamable.
It's flamable??!!:eek:mg: I honestly did not know that.
So much for smoking during my WWF refill.:smoking:

Don't have any real opinion about what to stick in your tire, except to say the WWF has worked excellently for me. And it's cheap (like me).

Good luck RadioMan! Let us know how it ends.

SnowMower

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't think the standard blue stuff is flammable. It's mostly water with solvents (& dye) in it.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I have CaCl in my larger machine, but not without tubes !

I would not temp fate and have a highly corrosive chemical resting on bare metal....IMO

RimGuard would be my first choice, if I knew about it at the time...

Same weight characteristics without the toxicity....

Keweenaw4310, rims are expensive for your machine dont know
how much exactly but I wouldnt be surprise if its considerably higher than $1000.....just a guess however

I think once winter is over, I would re-address your tires again
and maybe go with Rim guard or CaCl with tubes....to give yourself a chance :confused:

Duc

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the biggest bunch of hogwash I've ever heard...they also say it removes paint.....N O T

These are myths.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
quote:

That's the biggest bunch of hogwash I've ever heard...they also say it removes paint.....N O T

These are myths.

I used to think my farts werent flammable, but I found out the hard way :eek:mg: :furious: :homereat:

I haven't tried to ignite WW fluid, so i cant comment

Ducati

·
The Grand Illusion
66 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
quote:

These are myths.

Well I just checked the jug of WW fluid(Super Tech/Wal-Mart) and it says "Keep away from open flames". I poured alittle on the driveway to see if I could get it to light. Nothing! Myth busted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went through te whole exercise....

A second set of rims for $9, refinished in the correct color.

Inner tubes.

Mounted AG tires 20x10x8 - 4 ply (super stiff) .... at home, with some worn out out screw drivers, some dish soap.
Some gentle persuation.
No damage to tire or anything, take the time, work tire bead an inch at a time, I stood on the tire as it is goes into the rim... and 'pops' .. it's in!

Also used "aegt5000's" method more or less, having not read this thread first before doing it, I think I did allright.

Used 12 gallons total, WW 80% rest water. I was not aware of other products available, plus ww is cheap.

Overall weight for each wheel+tire+tube+WW = 71 Lbs, used a bathroom scale to ensure same weight.

Have not tried it on snow to see what kind of traction this gives.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Welcome P2E2F:friends: Glad you got it all done and you have the self satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself:D I know its not a easy task to change tires. But it don't sound like you had to much trouble putting the WW fluid in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts