Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gator blades ether you love them are you hate them me i love them i have one on my Snapper best thing i ever put on it. It cuts better and the motor doesn't bog down in tall thick grass like the stock blade did. And as soon as i wear the blades out on my cub i will get gators for it to. So lets hear your thoughts on the gators what do you think of them.
Jody

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Love them more than any other lawnmower part. I remember the first time I used them, it was dry out (mid-summer) and the additional uplift created a dust storm in my bagger. I came in the house covered in dust. But, I know mow higher than I used to, only after the lawn has been moistened. These thing really do cut great. No more funky looking grass, uneven cutting and uncut grass. Plus, If I want to mulch, the grass is pulverized. If you bag, no more clogs.

Greatest product for the lawn mower in my honest opinion.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I bought mine at agri supply..

http://www.agri-supply.com/

they have a toll free # so you can inquire about specific blades...

800-345-0169

i like jody am waiting for my original blades to dull... i bought the gators last year but have not used them yet..
For my tractor; Agri blades were $2.50 per blade cheaper than jacks

sj

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried them for the first time this "leaf season" I may have gotten more lift, was hard to measure. I have a modified EZE vac system on my JD318 with a 5.5hp Briggs mounted on the rear of my trac, and one thing the gators did was chop up "small" branches much more effectively than the standard blades did. Was more dusty than the normal blades. I am not sure at this point if they are really better or not. Jury is still out. Only used them 2 or 3 times.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Not available yet for the 5000 yet. I have them on my other two Craftsman LT's 42"

Work great on those. Can't wait til they are available for the GT5K.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by deereflugel
I tried them for the first time this "leaf season" I may have gotten more lift, was hard to measure. I have a modified EZE vac system on my JD318 with a 5.5hp Briggs mounted on the rear of my trac, and one thing the gators did was chop up "small" branches much more effectively than the standard blades did. Was more dusty than the normal blades. I am not sure at this point if they are really better or not. Jury is still out. Only used them 2 or 3 times.
I understand they are a little harder steel than OEM blades. They will hold an edge longer and take a little more abuse. That alone makes them a value.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by leolav
They are stronger and they last longer. And for Craftsman, I believe they were cheaper as well.
I like that even better.

I wonder what's taking them so long to bring them out for the 48" deck?

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Maybe some of em are posting here on TF.com instead of making gator blades during the day ---- or they could just send them to China to have them built at night with the Rubbermaid tools...

:)

Andy

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by admin
Maybe some of em are posting here on TF.com instead of making gator blades during the day ---- or they could just send them to China to have them built at night with the Rubbermaid tools...

:)

Andy
Then the value would drop immesely! :lmao:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
They might coat them in the baby blue plastic though.

I think spring 04 they are planning to release the blades for the GT 5000.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I can see how the Gators would be thicker then the star center blades found on MTD blades like on a Yardman also the Sears star center blades.Because there thin and not heat treated blades.But I can not amagine a Gator blade being as heavy duty as a John Deere heat treated blade.They are heavy duty blades.The blades on a 2000 series Cub Cadet are not as heavy duty I do not think have not had them off yet.But there still a very good heavy duty blade.

I do not see how the Yardman or Sears Gator reference blades could be much thicker then original because of the star.There is not much on the star as it is.There would be atleast 1/2 again thickness above that star if they were made like a Deere blade.Plus if the Gators are not heat trated im not buying them.The Sears and Yardman blades tear and crack the Deere blades just get dull if they hit something.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by johndeere
I can see how the Gators would be thicker then the star center blades found on MTD blades like on a Yardman also the Sears star center blades.Because there thin and not heat treated blades.But I can not amagine a Gator blade being as heavy duty as a John Deere heat treated blade.They are heavy duty blades.The blades on a 2000 series Cub Cadet are not as heavy duty I do not think have not had them off yet.But there still a very good heavy duty blade.

I do not see how the Yardman or Sears Gator reference blades could be much thicker then original because of the star.There is not much on the star as it is.There would be atleast 1/2 again thickness above that star if they were made like a Deere blade.Plus if the Gators are not heat trated im not buying them.The Sears and Yardman blades tear and crack the Deere blades just get dull if they hit something.
Have you looked at the blades that are on the Craftsman 48" mower deck? I bet you haven't, because they are substantially heavier than their counterparts in the other decks. Just what I noticed with the 48" deck and blades compared to the 50" deck and blades was night and day. There is noticable differences.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts