Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gator Blade Owners......I know a few of you have purchased gator blades this spring and, there are a few of us waiting to hear your opinions regarding quality of cut, hardness, lift , price and any other comments you may have.

Would you recommend them to others?

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
They work great on my Cub dont know how they work on the GT5000 Andy said he bought some dont know if he has tried them out yet. But i would recommend them as a very good blade for the money.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
hey i cut my back lawn the other day it was 6-8" high.. (I cut it high) the gators did leave a little bit of a stip in some spots... but the clippings werre not nearly as bad as my regular blades... instead of sweeping the lawn... i cut it 2 days later (at a lower height) and there is pretty much no sign of grass clippings... i say.. thumbs up to the gators so far...

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I have a set a Gator Blades that I recently purchased but I have not installed them yet. SJ's post and comments above about the clippings has motivated me to install them to try them out. I end up letting my grass go too far and the clippings are a real problem. I end up running over them several times to get them down to a managable size.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i was impressed.. under normal curcumstances i would definetly needed to sweep the lawn.. i cut it for the 2nd time 4 days ago and really there is barely any sign of grass clipping left.. i would have had to sweep it after each cuttin with my regular blades... cause there was a lot of grass

i was a little worried when i saw the stips of missed grass that it left the 1st time around... it looked like i cut the lawn drunk.. actually my better half asked me just that...

I think it was just cutting a little utoo fast and too much grass...

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I've had the same satisfying results. I no longer worry about having to sweep or run over the lawn a second time.

Prior to putting them on I was having problems leveling the deck because the cut wasn't even. When I installed the Gators, the cut was very even. Not sure why that happened. This was a new LT2000 so the blades were also new.

Anyway, well worth the purchase!!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
This year, I am trying to faithfully abide by the "1/3 rule". I am cutting my grass every 4 or 5 days. There has been a couple times where I had to wait because the ground was so wet, so it was rather tall when I was finally able to cut it. It has been tall enough that I could see some clippings left behind, but slowing down a bit makes a big difference. My neighbors yard always has strips of brown grass everywhere when hes done, but theres none in my yard. :)

I thought my little Toro PP walk behind cut good, but I realize how well I like the gator blades when I see grass left behind from the Toro. The gator blades are awesome, and when they wear out, I plan to replace them with more Gator blades.

I seem to have the best results with the mulch plug in place. Would I reccommend them? Yes!

Greg

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Glad to see they work well on the Cub and Simplicity Decks and
I know sixchows likes how they worked on his Sears 50” deck but
I don’t think they work very well on the GT5000 48” deck. In fact
IMO the blades that came with the mulching kit work a little better
than the Gators (but they don’t work too well either)

I’ve gone fast, slow, medium, frontward, backward, and re-cut at
90 Deg. to my 1st cut direction. Mulching with the 48” deck sucks,
it leaves too much grass behind in clumps and windrows, so I end
up going over everything twice. Cutting with an elevated discharge
shield, with the mulching blades that come with the Sears mulching
kit, seems to be the least objectionable outcome.

I cut between 1 and 1-1/2 inches off the lawn and I’m zero for 2004
in my mulching attempts. I have even waited until 3pm to start cutting
to get the lawn as dry as possible (just makes neater clumps)

If anybody has successfully mulched with the Sears 48” deck (with or
without Gators) please send help, I’m all ears.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
aegt5000
Everything you describe about your adventure with the 48" deck is what I was going through with the 50" before the gators. And besides all that, the OEM blades on the 50" deck were really cheap. I was constantly replacing bent blades. These are much stronger and hold their edge much better. With the deflector removed there is hardly ever a trace of clippings even when a little long or wet. Maybe the shape of the deck? The 50' deck is almost flat.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Originally posted by sixchows

With the deflector removed there is hardly ever a trace of clippings even when a little long or wet.
6 chows
do you remove your deflector shield? i was always told that was a bad thing as rocks and juck could go flying anywhere.. sort of makes sense...

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
My old Snapper has lost its deflector shield long before i ever got it and with the gator on it it does great side discharging. My cub i haven't done anything but Mulch But if my grass gets so high i have to side discharge i will not put down the deflector shield . I see how my neighbor yard look when he cuts grass. If you had a small baler you could bale hay with the rows of grass it leaves:D

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aegt5000

That is the same thing I experienced with the mulching blades...I finally put the original blades back on....the problem with the original blades is to much lift....I was trimming near one of my wifes mulched flower beds and sucked all the mulch out of it...but other than that, they do a fine job...the mulching kit was a waste of money..

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The blades that come with Sears mulching kit are about as thick
as the Gators. Both the Sears mulching blades and the Gators do
a better job (with open side discharge) than the hi-lift blades that
came with the deck.

I cut all last season with the high lifts and open discharge. If I limited
the cut to max 1-1/2 in the clippings left behind were acceptable. This
spring I started with the mulching kit and was not happy so I ordered
the Gators. Swapped to Gators with the mulching plug in and was not
happy. Switched back to Sears mulching blades, better but still not good.

Idea’s anyone…..:cry: ....anyone……:cry: ....ANYONE !!!!! :cry:

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by aegt5000
Agree...Do you have the 48" deck ??
Yes mine is the 48"!! I'm surprised your not satisfied with the original high lift blades.....I primarily switched to the mulching blades to ease the suction...but after cutting it when it was dry and the deck was puking up piles of grass every 50'....that was enough for me....maybe the deck is designed to be strictly side discharge.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Agree...

It’s not that I wasn’t satisfied with the hi-lifts, I used them all
last season. But after hearing all the great talk about mulching
I had visions of a “Broom Swept” lawn dancing in my head
when I installed the mulching kit. My mulching experience
sounds pretty much like yours, so I went back to side discharge
and left the mulching blades on. (they are much quieter though)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
sj
Yea, I know it might not be the safest way but the deflector shield just rolls out a line of clippings or due to the overall width of the deck just digs a trench along any high spots. Anyway most older mowers like my bolens don't have any shields, I just try to be a little more careful and keep people and pets out of the way.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Dam the people and pets...Full speed ahead !!!

Give me Liberty or give me Deck !!!!

Don't shoot until you see the whites of their Wheels !!!

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john
hey i cut my back lawn the other day it was 6-8" high.. (I cut it high)
I guess:eek: :eek:

Sounds like me realy. With all the rain, and break downs, been tough to keep it mowed. I DO like to keep it under a foot high though, that way I can see the stumps I have not removed yet.:D

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by aegt5000
Agree...

It’s not that I wasn’t satisfied with the hi-lifts, I used them all
last season. But after hearing all the great talk about mulching
I had visions of a “Broom Swept” lawn dancing in my head
when I installed the mulching kit. My mulching experience
sounds pretty much like yours, so I went back to side discharge
and left the mulching blades on. (they are much quieter though)
Yeah...I had the same visions....what a bunch of malarky that was!!!Broom swept my ass....if broom swept means leaving a pile every 50', then I couldn't find the dust pan to pick the piles up.:mad:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts