Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning both brands I have to say the I prefer Gateway. I have decided this after a 3 yr old Dell desktop kind of crapped out. You are probally wondering what I mean by this so I will tell you. First it crashed twice in one week. Then the hard drive was whining so that had to be replaced. Then, the power fan has started surging and the losing power. And the computer has crashed again and when I try to format the hard drive it says Not Enought Memory. I was just wondering if this is isolated or if people have had similar experences. On the contarary I have had 2 gateways over seven years that have neven given me a lick of trouble.

Adam

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
173 Posts
So many variables...hard to answer. It depends on who makes their components. To my knowledge, neither Dell or Gateway "make" anything...they specify to hardware manufacturers what they want for parts. Some companies then make parts....motherboard, case, monitor, DVD/CD drives, etc. So basically Dell and Gateway are computer "builders" (much like many of us albeit on a much grander scale).

Their parts can be propietary so upgrades are $$$ because they are the only source.

I've had 2 motherboards I got cheap on ebay that were pulls from Gateway computers. They were MSI 6330 boards with a Gateway ROM BIOS. They are good, stable boards but really don't reflect on Gateway (even tho Gateway is in BIG letters on the bootup logo)....they reflect on Microstar.

Personally, I'd buy the parts and "build" it myself....you know whats under the hood.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
My first Dell was a 333 Mhz. and it was a piece of crap :argh: They said to send it back and let me buy a Dimension XPSR 400 which I am typing to you on as we speak. Has been a great computer and I have updated it to the max. Service and support was fantastic! :thumbsup: I will definitely buy another Dell, especially since I can buy it through the AAFES PX system at a BIG discount and no sales tax. When I buy the next computer, I will give you guys a write up on the buying experience. You guys are going to howl laughing but my last computer was a Zenith Z-248 8 Mhz DOS driven model. I make 'em last to the bitter end! :cpu:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had bought a PC 12 years ago, built the next one from parts, bought an e-machine for my kids ($400 lasted 5 years), and now have a Dell Dimension 4300 (2 years old) and a brand spanking new Dell 2400. I also use a Dell Axim handheld PC. I know nothing about Gateway, but I can say nothing but positive things about dealing with Dell and their machines. I leave my machines running 24/7 except during electrical storms. I believe that has alot to do with the longevity of the systems.
I recently moved to a DSL and have networked the home computers with a wireless system, including the handheld. Again, all my computers are from Dell and the networking stuff was bought from them also. It all works flawlessly.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4550 that is just over a year old and like wheely boy said it stays on 24/7. The reason i went with Dell is that is what we have at work and we have not had any problems with them in the 6 years i have been there. Right now im on this old slow etower 500is which we have had for 5 years and it blows. Im ready to throw it out the window. My Dell i have set up with Dsl and i didnt want to mess with the settings to get the dail up so i came to this peice of crap cause it was already set up. But Dude i Love my Dell:thumbsup:
Jody

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I use a Dell Latitude laptop at work. It has a "docking station" which lets you use a full size keyboard and external monitor. It seems to be a pretty well built laptop.

As far as Gateway vs. Dell, I agree what dougand3 said in the second post. You would have to research the componants to know which might be more reliable, or a better deal.

PC's are relatively complex machines, so you will probably get strongly divided opinions based on actual user experiences. Lots of variables in the life of a PC such as how it is used, abused, maintained, the environment it is used in, and software conflicts. All these issues can result in 2 wildly different opinions on not only the same brand, but the same machine!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have a Gateway laptop and have been thrilled with its perfromance. It works alot, travels with me anywhere I go.

I use it 8-10 hrs per day and it never quits. Only issue I had was wehn I doused my laptop with water. Totalled the laptop, but thankfully the harddrive was salvaged and all my info was saved. I brought the laptop to a Gateway Country store and they replaced it no questions asked. They even gave me two new batteries to replace the ones I had.

Great customer service.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've owned both and would own both. I tend to buy Dell. I was recently becomming fed up with Dell tech support (India shouldn't be supporting home users of Dell products). Dell's pulling back from this a bit, let's see if they learned their lesson yet.

At my former job (2000-2001), I packed a Dell Latitude laptop around the world, I was flying every week. It was awesome, and I wish I could have kept that when I quit.

While I owned that one, my mom decided she needed one. I couldn't say enough about my Dell, so we ordered her one (WinME).

She made it about 8 months and problems set in. I couldn't fix them over the phone, she couldn't work it out with Dell tech support(Indian accents), so after a little while, she gave it to me and bought a Gateway. The only thing I insisted on was for her to buy WinXPPro. She loves it and is not having problems. It has nothing to do with Gateway or Dell.

I've had her defective Dell for 10 months now and not a glitch. I did upgrade it from ME to XP, and I bumped it to 384mb ram..

So, in her case, Dell sucks. They lost her as a customer and she won't ever stop telling people about how crappy Dell is. Was there anything actually wrong with her Dell? No... but, Dell did drop the ball.

It worked out great for me, I got a free laptop, and a nice one too.

Recently, my home computer (Dual p3-800 self built) began glitching to blue screen of death at inopportune times, so we upgraded the box only to a dell p4 for $450.

-Deere

1 - 8 of 8 Posts