Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how about some input from your personal experiences, gas powered hedge trimmers with the capability of cutting through a broom handle, saw this on another site, am interested. thanks, tjw in kans

·
Registered
38 Posts
Stihl makes some with enough motor to put a circular saw blade on and cut through some pretty thick stuff. Never saw one that would hack through a broom handle with string!:D

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Well, evidently they are not talking about weedeater brand nor Echo's. I had two weedeater brands Excalibur something or other, and they have a very weak drive system that gave me lots of problems, even on the supposedly improved verson. The first pone was sent back to Poulan and they replaced it with a newer version supposedly and it was no better than the first. The blades are nice shiney stainless steel which amounts to nothing in all reality as its pretty soft. All I ever used them for was cutting back Azalea bushes, with branches no larger than 3/8 to 1/2" max. Tried my friend Echo, it was better, but not much. Frowm what I have seen of SHindawa brand trimmers they seem more substantial than the others, but I seriously doubt they wold cut a broomstick either. You need a pruning shears for that stuff.

All I use now is a good pair of manually operated pruning shears or clipper type shears, and can run about 200+ feet of Azaleas in about an hour, with the only chance of breakdown or problems is me getting tired before the job is done. Yea, I know azaleas are supposed to be pruned by nipping individual brances etc, and they should not be trimed like a hedge, but my plants seem to grow rooftop tall in a week so its just a chore to keep em down low, and their shape matters not.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have a Homelite that has served me will for about 8 years. Why would you want to cut something that thick??? I use mine for the small stuff (3/8 at the biggest) and it does that fine.

I use anvil lopers for anything that thick, or a chainsaw.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shidawa rings a bell for one brand i read about a while back. i would rather have an overkill so i dont have to stop every foot to unjam an oversized clipping. i think this may have been a commercial type. box store trimmers work ok on new growth, but get below that they will jam up in older growth. anyone use a shindawa or equivelant? i think these were 100 plus higher than box stor trimmers.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
tjw

I have 2 cycle gas hedge trimmers. I will have to check out what brand they are,I forgot. The ones I have work well.Cut a lot quicker then electric. I am the type of guy that works his equipment.Someone should hire my to field test,because I will push the limits in the name of progress when I want a job done.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds like i may want to use a chainsaw to take a foot or so off the tops of these pine type shrubs to get them down to 4 feet tall and try to reshape in the spring when they shoot back up. the trunk parts are getting too thick to cut by hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts