Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a search but didn't find anything. Can someone recommend a gas can that doesn't leak when re-fueling? I've tried most of the plastic ones in different sizes and supposed spill-proof nozzles but sooner or later they all seem to leak. I saw a blitz 5 gal can for $52 but that seems a bit pricey for a gas can. It seems I'm always re-fueling on the grass and making brown spots. With 6 dogs, I already have enough brown spots. I'm starting to feel like the 7th dog.:D

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
sixshows heres a link to a can call no spill i have heard they are great but i don't know how much they are. You can use the find a dealer window to find out who sells them by you.

No-Spill gas cans

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jody
Thanks, they look good but I wonder why so small? The biggest one is only 2 1/2 gals.

·
Registered
497 Posts
They also have a retro-fit kit that fits the Blitz cans.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thing I've noticed with any plastic can I've had is that from constantly removing and replacing the cap/spout to refill them the spouts seem to go back on cross threaded when tightened all the way. They start out right and go almost all the way tight being lined up straight and then when snuged down a little harder to insure it doesn't drip they kinda cross thread just enough to drip. Are you guys buying new cans periodically or am I just buying the wrong ones? Does anyone use the ones with the hand pump on them? Do they work any better? My father had a metal one when I was a kid with a pump built into the cap that worked quite well.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I bought one of those 22 gallon cans with a built in pump last year. It is really a great design. It has a pressure pump and a gas station style plastic spigot on it. It also has wheels so you can move it easily whereever you want. The nice part is that you fill it up when gas is cheap and it lasts for a good while.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
How much does that 22 gallon set-up cost and where did you get it?:dazed: I am getting real tired of filling up my smaller cans, I use about 2. 5 gallons a week if I mow the whole kingdom. Quit whining ...I know!:D

·
Registered
664 Posts
Originally posted by Stewart
How much does that 22 gallon set-up cost and where did you get it?
I've seen them in the Northern Tool catalog I get from time to time.. There was a 30gal unit for $369.99.

There was also a retrofit pressurizing deal that screws on existing cans for $16.99.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
You get what you pay for in a gas can as well as other items. I spent over $30 some bucks each for 5 1/2 gal gas cans over 20 years ago and they still don;t leak and work great. Sta- Rite (?)brand and Eagle brand. Typical red metal saftey type cans with metal flexible spouts, made about as heavy duty as the old GI Jerry cans. I even have a few of the steel jerry cans as well as the newer plastic ones. Biggest problem with them is the diameter of the pour spouts. They are fine for diesel fuel though.

Spilling is all in the hands of the pourer / user. Some cans there is no hope for though because no matter how carefull you are it still spills.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm going to disagree with all the advice about fancy cans. During the downtime after Hurricane Juan, I was hauling gas 60 miles because no stations nearer had power to run their pumps. I bought those red plastic ones at Wally World, and I'm still using them. I cleaned them and Crappy Tire out of cans, though, so I don't have to use any can a second time!!!!:furious:

They were C$5.76 for a 4 gallon unit, and they don't leak from the nozzle cap unless you try to hold the can completely upside-down. For normal pouring they work great.

The only trouble I've had is after I emptied them all I left them open to vent before I brought them inside, and they all collected water.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
im with jim.. i also have cheapo gas cans from walmart.. they work well and for the most part do not spill anything.. a 5 & a 1 gallon gets me by.. 5 gallon for the tractor, 1 gallon mixed with oil for the chainsaw,weed wacker,blower ect

as for the new ones they sell at Walmart - the spill proof cans.. the look goofy.. it took me a few minutes to figure out how they would even work..

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The red plastic cans I have all drip from the filler spout some more than others. Unless they're just worn out? Do you guys replace yours every so often? I like the idea of the big 28-30 gal units for the convienence but not sure I want that much gas around especially in one container.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I just hate to pay over $100 for a gas can. It seems like no matter what it is that I need to buy anymore it is at least a C note!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh! My fianancial manager (my wife) is ready to blow a gasket.

I will have to keep my eyes open and see what I can find that won't break the bank. I don't mind the idea of 30 gallons of gas in the shed, but would hate to lug it around and get out of the SUV. Thanks for the input.:smoking:

·
Registered
211 Posts
No doubt about it the high end metal cans are the best, even if they are slow pourers. Just a bit pricey for the average user. I have a couple metal cans aquired second hand. But when I need a new can, I get the ventless type plastic. I have for both gas and diesel. No problems so far with leaking. They also have the handles on the top and baskside so they are easiier to handle.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I like having plenty of gas on hand. Remember, we need plenty of gas for the occasional snow storms/blizzards, hurricanes and ice storm we get. We also usually lose power. To run out of gas in the middle of a storm is crazy. We had an ice storm last winter where our generaor went through 11 gallons of gas keeping our house warm and the water running. We also used several more gallons to get our driveway clear of the ice and slush that was on it so we can get out to the road in an emergency.

The way I see it, the expensive 22 gallon pump can is worth its weight in gold. It doesn't take up a ton of space and it really is great to have that much gas on hand in an emergency. I top it off every time it gets below 1/2 or immediately before a storm.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was looking at the 5gal Blitz can (ventless) in HD last night and half of them had the spouts cocked on the threads. They were around $16. Maybe a metal one is a better idea?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Originally posted by leolav
The way I see it, the expensive 22 gallon pump can is worth its weight in gold. It doesn't take up a ton of space and it really is great to have that much gas on hand in an emergency. I top it off every time it gets below 1/2 or immediately before a storm.
Very good point, better safe than sorry.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts