1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuel Issue

Discussion in 'Repair & Technical Discussion' started by Brian J. Virovatz, Nov 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Brian J. Virovatz

Brian J. Virovatz New Member

Nov 8, 2017
    I'll try not to get lengthy here. Was given a 1996 Craftsman lawn tractor. Briggs 19HP opposed twin. Wasn't getting fuel so cleaned the tank with boiling water, replaced the hoses, filter, and rebuilt the fuel pump. Still wouldn't start. Pulled the top of the carb off, filled the float bowl with gas, and replaced the top. Would run for a minute than stopped. Pulled the carb top off and found about 3/8th of an inch fuel in bowl. Cranked the engine with the carb top off and plenty of fuel was shooting out the fuel pump port, so I know the pump is working. Cleaned the needle valve in the carb top and replaced the top. Still won't start. Doesn't seem to be getting fuel from the pump to the float bowl. The only thing I can think of is the float adjustment. What is the proper float adjustment for this mower (can't find it on the web) and how full should the float bowl be before the needle valve closes? Any help would be appreciated. If you have any other possibilities please let me know. Thanks! Tractor model 917.258572. Engine model 42E707-1631-01

2. larry rowel

larry rowel New Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Needle is sticking, remove it, put a qtip in a drill with some polish and polish the inside where the needle goes to a mirror finish. The float is normally parallel to the top in the closed position.

3. Brian J. Virovatz

Nov 8, 2017
    Thanks. Great tip with the Q-tip. Got it running but it revs high and low. I can't find anything for the governor linkage in the owners manual I downloaded (said pages were omitted) so not sure how that works or how to adjust, or even if the governor is the problem. Also, when running I can throttle down til it dies but when the engine is off and I move the throttle lever to slow the throttle butterfly in the carb is wide open. Any ideas? Does the engine need to be running to actuate the butterfly? Thanks again.

4. larry rowel

larry rowel New Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Governor would likely be wide open till startup, it's a series of internal weights and opposing external springs who's tension is controlled by the throttle position. Should be a lever coming out of the block from the internal part. I have a Kholer in which this has failed causing it to over rev but I haven't experience this with a Briggs except once on a 12hp which destroyed it because it was also part of the lube system. Try running it by controlling the butterfly by hand and maybe the solution will become apparent.

5. Brian J. Virovatz

Nov 8, 2017
    Thanks. I'll give it a try. Driving me crazy. I wish I could find a diagram or instructions on how to adjust that governor linkage. Nothing in the manual and can't find anything online. There is a spring in there on an adjustment screw that looks really funky. Looks stretched all out of shape but it's a compression spring.

6. Brian J. Virovatz

Nov 8, 2017
    20171115_082243.jpg Here's a pic of the governor linkage. You can see the spring that's all buggered up. This tractor was given to me and I think somebody has messed with this linkage. What's the proper way to adjust?