Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Ford 5000 1965-66-67 ??
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble keeping my tractor idling, it has the gear driven pump on the right side of the motor. If I add motor oil into the hole it does better for awhile but I have had this tractor for over 15 yrs and I thought the fuel pump gear box was fed oil from the motor sump, is this not correct? Forgot to mention its a Ford 5000, not real sure about the year but its the 8 speed model it was running great....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looks like the 5000's were produced for 15 years between 1964 to 1979. Yours could be 43 - 58 years old, roughly.
Plenty of time to dry or wear out o-rings a plenty. Also, looks like your fuel injector pump has it's own lubrication, separate from the engine oil.
I just pulled down a fuel delivery system in a 50yr old Kubota that could barely run, sometimes. I replaced all the o-rings, it purrrrrrs like new and I didn't alter timing a bit.
So a thought.....maybe just an o-ring leak. There are a number of ways to isolate a leak but, if you find one rat.....

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Check the drain and FULL plugs..
They are normally self contained units, meaning u HAVE TO PUT OIL IN THEM, check them and change the oil at least once a year..

·
Registered
Ford 5000 1965-66-67 ??
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the drain and FULL plugs..
They are normally self contained units, meaning u HAVE TO PUT OIL IN THEM, check them and change the oil at least once a year..
I would remove the cap and see oil about half up the gears so I left it alone when I first started having running problems I checked it and couldn't see any but I also didn't see any oil leaks so I added oil to the half way mark, after doing this a few times I wondered where the oil was going so I pulled my oil dipstick and it was past the full mark, is there supposed to be a barrier in the pump housing that keeps the oil inside the fuel pump??? It will crank up but within minutes start running real rough, if I increase the throttle to keep it running it throws out black smoke along with the rough idle, if I put the throttle back into the idle posistion it immediately cuts off...

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I don’t know what u mean by taking off the cap.??
The FULL LEVEL is on the side of the pump.. it takes a 1/2” wrench..
It sounds like u have a FUEL RESTRICTION or starvation problem..
FP314A is the supply pump p number IF it’s bolted to the side of the pump..

is there a steel line that feeds oil into the pump body.?? If yes, the oil comes from the engine & drains back thru the front of the pump..
If no, u have add oil and there’s a front seal that holds it inside the pump..

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don’t know what u mean by taking off the cap.??
The FULL LEVEL is on the side of the pump.. it takes a 1/2” wrench..
It sounds like u have a FUEL RESTRICTION or starvation problem..
FP314A is the supply pump p number IF it’s bolted to the side of the pump..

is there a steel line that feeds oil into the pump body.?? If yes, the oil comes from the engine & drains back thru the front of the pump..
If no, u have add oil and there’s a front seal that holds it inside the pump..
Hey thepumpguysc,
Is it possible he has a Lehman or Dover engine replacement? They were engine fed pumps.
60shazbot, I think a pic is overdue.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Ford 5000 with an eight-speed transmission points to a Ford 5000 from the 1000-series (1964-1975). A "Lehman or Dover" (D4 or 27xx engines) can not be fitted into a 5000 (1964-1975), at least not without rebuilding most of the tractor.

Unfortunately, Ford decided to change the Fordson New Performance Super Major (1962-1964) name to "Ford 5000 Diesel" for units exported to the US, which is confusing. Only six-speed transmissions, but those can have a D4 or 27xx engine. Anyhow, here is what the possible injection pumps look like, hoping for some type of reaction:

Publication Book Font Art Newsprint

·
Registered
Ford 5000 1965-66-67 ??
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thepumpguysc,
Is it possible he has a Lehman or Dover engine replacement? They were engine fed pumps.
60shazbot, I think a pic is overdue.
Yeah, my pump doesn't look anything like the one in the pic-I'll get my son to help me post a photo of it-I can turn a wrench on most anything but most of the digital phone stuff is over my head.LOL...

·
Registered
42 Posts
True, 3 lubrication types are now posted, I think we ran out of guessing options from that standpoint.
A pic is worth.......???

"it throws out black smoke"
Can you theorize the reaction of a Lucas CAV filled with engine oil?

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
It will just get flushed back to the tank..
Depending on how much fuel is in the tank, it might get mixed with the fuel and cause a problem..
But I don’t see that happening..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts