Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of changing the wheels/tires on my 444. It will be used for mostly just garden, woods, and dirt work, and the tires on it don;t have much direction control when its sloppy. Thinking of going to a narrow front wheel and tire. Have the wheels, and on them now are some 5 rib tires. I will probably swap on three rib ones when I get them on. Hoping to match up some bearings next week, and I have to make up some axle spacers. Here is a picture of the two wheels..........

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Paul instead of going to those tires would lug tires work better on the front or would they rip up the grass:question:
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought of that also. Not to concerned about the lawn. Never had a problem with the lug rears.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Weight on the front end will assist your steering. I know when I was plowing or disking with mine, when they dug in I was free wheeling.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have not put them on yet. just thinking it may help steering.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nope, not yet. I have a set of bar tread tires the same size on one of my Gravelys, and was thinking of tryong them also. May get a set of snowhog tires for the Gravely. Don;t know realy.

As for weight, I have a weight box, but the tires still plug up bigtime. Thats why I was thing the 3 rib in the thinner size, but maybe the bars would work also.

On that subject. Some people say that on a non powerd steering axle, you should mount the bar's backwards??? Does this make sence to anyone??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tread direction on front tires

Ribs to the front? In my "feable way of thinking" the "force" would be the opposite of the rear tires which is "force to ground". "Force to tire" on the front tires, i.e. "better grip".:smoking:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link KD. Still not sure what I will do yet. But got to trash the old stock tires. JUNK!! Hmmm Bar or thin 3rib???? hmmmm

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Over at www.weekendfreedommachines.org, it seems everyone is in agreement in the narrow 3 rib tires providing more stable steering and less slip when in the mud, loose soil or snow. In fact several members are modifying their front spindles to accept aftermarket wheels for the narrowest possible. I personally like the 5 rib design you have in your photo, but then again, I'm not pulling a plow through sod which seems to be a favorite activity at WFM. I will say this, there has to be something better than the turf tires in the snow, they don't work well in my experience while snow plowing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pro & Con, Ag vs 3-rib

The big advantage of Ag front tires, provided they work at all, is that they work with stock rims.

Here's an observation which I will be studying soon we get a little more snow: My 446 steers pretty vaguely in the snow with the Rib tires BUT - I just bought an Ingersoll 3010 with the same style tires only the grooves are about 1/8 inch deep compared to the much older 446 tires which are almost smooth.

I put the 54 inch blade on the 3010 and it *seems* (only one test so far) to steer much better than the 446 with the worn tires. That's got me to re-thinking my desire for tri-rib tires.

I really like the idea of tri-rib tires but since I haven't seen an easy way to get to that point, I would like to hear more about other tread designs that fit the existing rims.

First possibility is new rib tires

There might be highway tread tires with a skinny contact patch for another example that would cut through to the ground better, even on the wide stock rim.

There are turf tread tires like I have on a lawn tractor. Don't have any on a work tractor but that would be cheap to implement if it worked.

Then too there is the ag tire. So those are four different possibilities for stock rims.

Just my thoughts. Granted that I haven't read that link at weekendfreedom yet.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you dont mind the damange it can cause, the "snow hog" style tires would be awsome. I would imange they would tear up the lawn a bit though. I happan to have a set of narrow rims, so that is one thing in there favor. Would have to get new berings, and make some spacers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts