Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a good population of Fox Squirrels around their place? In years gone by we used to only have perhaps two of em around at any given time, but would have dozens of grey squirrels. Last year I put a good hurting on the greys as they were into everything, from tearing up the garden, nipping of the flowers, digging up the yard, insulation and stuff in my barns and outbuildings and in general just destroying everything and anything.

Now it seems the greys are very few in numbers, but there is a heap of those big Fox Squirrels.......

The Fox squirrel is a lot bigger than even the biggest grey squirrel, and just do not seem to be as much of a problem as the greys are. They sure look pretty with thier various colors (browns and greys) I have some brown Fox's that are just huge, about the size of a cat.........Its odd to me that the same species of squirrels, can have two or three different coat colors........I especially like the light brown coated ones, but even the dark brown or grey Fox squirrels are quite nice. They are also a lot less spastic in their movements and once you get them accustomed to you seem to be pretty friendly. So far though, they have not torn up anything and do not seem to like to take up residence in anythng other than trees..........they leave my feed barn and outbuildings and garden etc alone. The Fox squirrels we have here are of the Sherman Variety.

Attachments

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
We have an adequate population of fox, greys and black squirrels. But the biggest irritant in this neck of the woods are the little pine squirrel (little reds)...they are a little larger than a chipmunk but have no fear...they chase the larger fox squirrels away. They get into my bird feeders a lot so it keeps me in the constant design stage of something to foil them...It also keeps me in marksman status with my .22:D

·
Registered
254 Posts
The things I am seeing as future problems are the deer. The population has exploded and my deer hunting friends have not been able to hunt out here for years because of the suburban sprawl. Too many chances of accidently shooting somebody. No naturial predators like the squirrels have with the hawk.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Red squirrels in Alabama are rare, chipmonks for thr most are mainly found up in the northern part of the state, we do have a pretty good population of flying squirrels. Greys are the most common, but like my post stated, not around my place anymore....Last year I eliminated over 60 greys when I quit counting.....Only grey I want around is our Little Ivan the pet squirrel who stays in his cage in the house, and only goes outside on a leash..........

Deer here is also a major problem, even with our very liberale hunting season and bag limits of 1 a day, and in most counties it can be a buck or doe......at the rate of 1 a day, from about Mid september (bow and black poweder season starts then) till about End of October, when regular gun season opens up and finishes up on Jan 31st of the next year.........Deer here are so easy to bag, there just is no sport to it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The one problems besides the sprawling house everywhere is that the deer are very small. Your lucky if you can get at over 30 lbs. of meat (Avg. 17-30 lbs.) and after calculate how much money you've spent on hunting tags, processing fees, targeting your gun, deer blind, and etc. It easily comes out to $22.00- $56.00 per pound of meat!

As for squirrels no problems out in the country; there few and far between. They are brown and we do have grey ones but not as many. The old timers call the grey squirrels "Rock Squirrels" because they're the colors of the rock over here.

I hope your wrist not giving you any trouble, I know I would be driven a bit more crazy if I couldn't working outside! Godspeed on you and Slipshots' wife for healing y'alls wrist

1 - 5 of 5 Posts