1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Featured Ford 9n grounding

Discussion in 'Repair & Technical Discussion' started by voncalvin, Oct 7, 2017.

1. voncalvin

voncalvin New Member

Oct 7, 2017
    I have a Ford 9N which has been converted to 12 volts and has an altenator. It has no battery and both cables are red. How can I safely determine if it is still positive ground or been converted to negative ground.

2. Fedup

Fedup Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    On top post batteries the positive post is slightly larger than the negative. Cable ends/terminals are also made to reflect this size difference. For example, a positive cable end will be sloppy loose on the negative battery post and may not actually tighten up without extra effort while the negative end will be hard to fit onto the positive post. Try your present cable ends ONE AT A TIME on your new battery and see which one fits which post better. Then make sure the negative battery post is the one now connected to ground.

sixbales likes this.

3. voncalvin

voncalvin New Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Thanks, helps a lot.

4. willys55

willys55 Caractacus Potts Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2016
    12 volt systems are always negative ground, positive ground for 6 volt

sixbales likes this.