Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Ford 8n tractor after I run it for a half hour or so shredding or discing with it, I’ll turn it off and the overflow on the radiator will just start dripping antifreeze out of it and I’ll hear it boiling/bubbling in the radiator. Wondering if I have too much antifreeze in it? Is this normal? It doesn’t seem to get too hot but if it’s a problem I’d like to get it fixed, because it doesn’t seem rite for it to be boiling and getting that hot in the radiator all the way to where it has to be running out of the overflow every time. Sometimes it’s a drip and sometimes it’s more than a drip. I always keep it full of antifreeze but just wanted to see what you guys thought about this situation. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Do you idle the engine down for awhile or turn the engine off from running hard??, usually these older radiator setups would warm up and as the coolant expanded, this would be expelled out through the overflow, usually when the runout stopped, this would be the working level of the coolant, so if you fill the radiator to the top of the spout, this will happen again, if you are worried about it, set yourself up a header tank and a two way radiator cap so the coolant will be caught in the header tank and as the engine cools, the coolant will be sucked back into the radiator.

It may be time to also check the thermostat to see if this is opening correctly, a quick check would be to feel the top hose when the engine has been working, if this is hot to touch then the thermostat could be said to be working, the other way to check is to place the thermostat in boiling water and watch if the disc leaves the seat.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
FredM has given you good advice. If you let it go, it should reach equilibrium with coolant about 1/2" above the cores in the radiator.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you idle the engine down for awhile or turn the engine off from running hard??, usually these older radiator setups would warm up and as the coolant expanded, this would be expelled out through the overflow, usually when the runout stopped, this would be the working level of the coolant, so if you fill the radiator to the top of the spout, this will happen again, if you are worried about it, set yourself up a header tank and a two way radiator cap so the coolant will be caught in the header tank and as the engine cools, the coolant will be sucked back into the radiator.

It may be time to also check the thermostat to see if this is opening correctly, a quick check would be to feel the top hose when the engine has been working, if this is hot to touch then the thermostat could be said to be working, the other way to check is to place the thermostat in boiling water and watch if the disc leaves the seat.
Thankyou!

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
I have the same issues as you with my Kubota B2400, when I first got it, I was always topping up the radiator to the filler spout and when mowing I can see the overflow tube and I could see small amounts of water dripping out for awhile and then the dripping would stop because the water had found its level, I would have liked to have fitted an expansion tank, but there is no room behind the grill because of battery etc.

Actually I have read your post again and I am not happy with the boiling and bubbling you can hear when the engine is shut off, could I get you to remove the radiator cap and fill the radiator to the bottom of the filler spout and start the engine and let it idle until it heats up, keep a watch on the water in the filler, if the system is working correctly, the water will eventually start to expand from being heated and start to flow out of the neck and overflow hose, while this is going on, check for bubbles in the water as it flows out, tiny bubbles are ok, when the water heats up and overflows, gingerly touch the top hose and feel how hot this is, but be aware that if the thermostat is not opening properly, there could be small spurts of steam and hot water coming out of the neck as the water boils below the thermostat, so be careful because it will give you bad burns.

Would you mind advising of what you find?.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same issues as you with my Kubota B2400, when I first got it, I was always topping up the radiator to the filler spout and when mowing I can see the overflow tube and I could see small amounts of water dripping out for awhile and then the dripping would stop because the water had found its level, I would have liked to have fitted an expansion tank, but there is no room behind the grill because of battery etc.

Actually I have read your post again and I am not happy with the boiling and bubbling you can hear when the engine is shut off, could I get you to remove the radiator cap and fill the radiator to the bottom of the filler spout and start the engine and let it idle until it heats up, keep a watch on the water in the filler, if the system is working correctly, the water will eventually start to expand from being heated and start to flow out of the neck and overflow hose, while this is going on, check for bubbles in the water as it flows out, tiny bubbles are ok, when the water heats up and overflows, gingerly touch the top hose and feel how hot this is, but be aware that if the thermostat is not opening properly, there could be small spurts of steam and hot water coming out of the neck as the water boils below the thermostat, so be careful because it will give you bad burns.

Would you mind advising of what you find?.
Thankyou for the tips and instructions! I’m going to take a good look at it tonight, haven’t had a chance to look at it since my last post. I’m thinking since I can get a new thermostat for cheap, I’m just going to go ahead and buy a new one of those and get that installed and replaced and may even just flush the old antifreeze/water and start bee with that and see if the problem still continues. Thanks again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys, thanks for all the info. Went ahead and did some work on the 8n lastnight. I had noticed that the original radiator cap was super loose and the rubber gasket on it was half gone. Got a new one of those and I think got the overflow of antifreeze out of the radiator and it seems to be working just fine now. I think it was a combination of bad radiator cap and too much water/antifreeze in the radiator.
On to the next issue I care across, I put a new battery in this 8n a couple of weeks ago. This tractor is a 12v conversion. My charging system is simply not working. If I let the tractor sit for 20 hours or so and go to start it, it fires rite off but as soon as I shut it off and try to start it rite back up it’s dead. Slowly cranks once or twice then nothing. I get the jumper box out hook it to battery and it fires rite off. That’s telling me the battery is not charging. Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing this problem. Again. Tractor will start rite up after sitting for a day but then once I shut it off and go to restart it it’s dead and won’t start without a jumpstart. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
I think you need to do a battery load test at your battery supplier's if you feel that new battery is failing, what you describe points to the battery failing.

Again I would clean all battery connections and earthing points and see what gives then, also you can buy a cheap multimeter that can tell you if the alternator is charging or not, you will not know what or where the fault is by guessing, a multimeter is so easy to use for doing checks and a worthwhile tool to own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts