Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1959 ford 841 that I'm restoring. I'm currently rebuilding the steering that didn't work at all when I purchased it. My question is how many teeth should there be on each of the steering sectors gears? This tractor has 7 on the right sector and 11 on the left as your looking at it from the seat. All the replacement parts I've found have 5 on the right and 7 on the left. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I spend $300.00 on new sectors.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
When you replace the sector shafts you will find that there are two different widths of gear teeth available. Most replacement sectors are now .20 inch tooth width at the top. When you replace one, you may need to replace the other with a matching unit. For instance a 5 tooth right hand sector requires a 7 plus one double tooth left hand sector in the .20 inch tooth width versions.

Because of the lateral stress on the sector shafts, I replace the entire steering gear assembly. As by the time you buy all the bushings wallowed out from years of use, then discover the main shaft with the worm and follower (and those support bearings) are worn, it is far more economical to find a low hour unit or simply buy a new unit from the aftermarket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply RC. Yeah I've read about the 0.2" width and the replacement tooth number. I'm curious to know if these tractors originally came with sector gears that had more teeth or as I'm suspecting a previous owner put these 7 & 11 tooth gears in.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Yes, these had more teeth on some of the OEM sectors, but they were always matched so they would work. The new style with fewer teeth are stronger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts