Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be VERY thankful for advice. My first tractor after farming with horses 25 yrs. Ford 841 S . Great workhorse, BUT...keeps blowing out a block plug (5/16th inch freeze plug thing) behind coil on block. Replaced 3 times ($ 50 seal and rubber piece)., last time used Indian head glue and still blew out. think only suppose to be 7-9 lbs of pressure, so must be building up pressure.

What is normal pressure for 841 s -gas tractor?

GOOD or BAD idea???
1.Thinking to put some jb weld around edge this time, and put tape over hole, and jb weld over that to block. then could grin off if need to re-access. But hate to do that as might make more pressure inside engine and mess up something else. I am not much of a mechanic.
2. Also considered threading hole and putting small bolt, but not sure enough metal on block to tap it.

Is there some kind of pressure relief in oil system that might be not working causing my problem? Ford shows no no pressure relief valve that i can find.

THANKS .

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Is the plug the oil gallery plug for the cam and followers? If so, it is likely the oil pump relief is stuck closed and cold oil is building too much pressure.

The oil pump has the pressure relief in its housing, a plug is removed to repair it on the roto type pump, and a hex head plug accesses the valve on the gear type pump.

If it is a coolant plug, the radiator cap should be a 4 psi rated unit. Easily found in an auto parts house.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the plug the oil gallery plug for the cam and followers? If so, it is likely the oil pump relief is stuck closed and cold oil is building too much pressure.

The oil pump has the pressure relief in its housing, a plug is removed to repair it on the roto type pump, and a hex head plug accesses the valve on the gear type pump.

If it is a coolant plug, the radiator cap should be a 4 psi rated unit. Easily found in an auto parts house.
Thanks. it is definatly an oil plug. located in block behind coil. oil seeps out of the hole, or runs out after it blows out the small sealing plug (which looks like a freeze plug (a rubber seal goes in first, then the metal plug/seal. below is photo I found in another old forum . shows hole below two bolt holes where coil goes. (link if photo doesn't paste. )https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1336170. headed to feed mill will check back. https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1336170 THANKS !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, it's not threaded and the oil pressure gauge works. Think RC Wells nailed it. Oil gallery plug for cam. Not mechanic enough to know how to fix it. Need to get a manual. Jb welded it...time will tell. right now pressing matter is replacing seals in the 722 single arm loader, ad o find the stand for the loader to take t off. Use blocks now, but stand would be handy.
Thanks

could that be where the oil pressure line fitting screws into the block for the oil pressure gauage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts