Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey long time no type lol, seems my old 841 is needing new oil rings and possibly rod bearings. The problem I have is not ever having had it apart I'm not sure what rebuild kit to get.. Should I go with a standard or what? I've never rebuilt a tractor engine probably no different than rebuilding a car engine I'm sure, either way, does anyone know or have any idea what I should possibly go with to start? Gonna re-sleeve pistons the works other than possibly main bearings don't wanna split the tractor till absolutely needed. I know the serial # for the tractor is 41-310 main block number is EAF-6015-J so from all I've found out and been told it is an 841 built-in 58 with the 172ci engine I don't think its ever been apart as I worked on the oil pump and it had never been off. Any help in getting the right stuff for rebuild would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had great success with Alexander's Tractor Parts, buying engine rebuild parts and rebuilt engines. They have a full service machine shop and parts dept specializing in Ford engines. The engines come with oil pump and pan, front and valve covers already installed. The engine is timed including the injector pump gear, just add exterior components and go. I just bought and installed a 201 in my 4000 because I didn't have the time to do it myself, the price was very reasonable. If you're bent on doing it yourself and want parts only, they are experts in Fords and their parts department can tell you what you need, just have the engine details when you call. Note, I know of two other tractor parts suppliers that outsource to Alexander's for Ford engines.

alexanderstractorparts.com

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There are too many variables to adequately answer your question.
There were two engines used in the 801 Series.
Early ones had sleeves. Late ones were parent bore.
If your engine is an early one you could just "buy the kit" with new pistons, rings and sleeves. Get a valve job done and you would be good on the top side. If it is parent bore then the questions are, are the bores good enough to just rering? Have they been bored before? How much oversize were they bored? Can they be bored again or will they need to be sleeved?
Then there is the crank shaft. Are the journals still standard? Are they undersized? Can they be reused with new bearings? Has it been ground before? If so, can it be ground again if needed?
Engines are precision machines.
Are you proficient with micrometers to accurately mesure to + or - a couple ten thousthanths?
A dial calipers from Harbor Fright is Not suitable for measuring bores and crank journals.
You will need to answer the questions I have asked to determine the best course of action to take.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well like I said it isn't and hasn't been torn apart yet. From all I can find it is an engine with sleeves won't be positive till I break it down. I do have a mechanic who will be helping me and he's rebuilt a number of tractors and other heavy equipment and will be here when I tear it down. So guess I'll go with standard rebuild kit before tear down and if wrong I'll replace with correct one or just wait till I tear it down then order was just trying to save time. We was planning on doing it in a day. I know I've done simple rebuilds on 8 cylinders in a day so wouldn't think a 4 would take longer, but we all know how expected builds go.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I know more about the 3 cylinder Fords than the pre 1965 four bangers but am pretty sure if your engine uses a screw on oil filter it is parent bore. Canister oil filter equals sleeved. Others here can confirm or deny that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well hopefully others will put in their 2¢ worth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts