Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I have a Ford 801 that cannot start when I activate the starter motor, but it does start when I push it down a hill. Could you help me? please

hola, tengo un Ford 801 que no logra encender al accionar el motor de arranque, pero si enciende cuando lo empujo por una pendiente. Podrían ayudarme por favor?

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Hello Angel, welcome to the forum.

Your engine's compression may be low. The reason it will start when you push it down hill is that you spin the engine faster. Also the spark is probably stronger because there is no battery voltage drawdown due to cranking the engine.

If your starter is slow cranking the engine, you need to try to optimize the cranking speed with the starter. Check all of your battery connections - clean them to bare metal. Your starter and starter solenoid may be corroded or internally whereby you are not getting full battery power to the starter motor.

Check your points to see that they are not burned or corroded, compromising the spark intensity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Need more information of what you have ruled out and symptoms but in general.

Test if the battery is bad.
Check charge of battery.
Clean and inspect connections to posts.
Visually inspect the wiring from battery to alternator and to starter solenoid for defects like burns nics or varmint chewing wires.
Check each end with multimeter for connectivity.
If controls do not engage starter jump the solenoid and watch to see if it if engaging correctly or for any visual indication of problems.
Listen close for any grinding and engagement.
The list goes on and would like to help but really need more information.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts