Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have recently bought a 1960's Ford 641 Workmaster tractor from a small local tractor company (1 man operation) that repairs and restores old tractors. Upon buying he tractor the hydraulics were not working that great. I had to bleed the air out every time I used the tractor. so I called the guy and he took the hydraulic pump off and put a seal kit in it and reinstalled the pump. It works better, I guess, but I still have bleed the a pump once and a while. What I do is loosen the bleed screw on the hydraulic pump and wait for air bubbles to come out and wait for the 3 point hitch to start to go up and the fluid will start to come out as well. Any thoughts why this is happening? The guy will not take the tractor back so I am left to figure this out I guess. Thanks in advance.

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Welcome to the forum songrat. I'm not sure where to start with that issue, there must be a leak somewhere else in the system that is allowing it to draw in air

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
I am not to familiar with that model, heck just bought my first 9N a week ago....but I am going to brush up on my knowledge of these little fords......I am certain that someone with the right answer will chime in soon

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Howdy songrat,

Your hydraulic pump has a manifold that connects it to the transmission. The suction and discharge tubes pass through the bottom of the tranny to the hydraulic reservoir. The only place that I know of for a suction/air leak is through an o-ring on the manifold. See item #39 (manifold) and o-rings #36, 38, 40, 41. I've never worked on this type setup, but it doesn't look like a big job.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
PS: The larger tube is the suction tube. Look the manifold over carefully for evidence of minor leakage (it may have a crack). You will also have to replace gasket #46. You will also have to drain the hydraulic reservoir before you start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Than
Howdy songrat,

Your hydraulic pump has a manifold that connects it to the transmission. The suction and discharge tubes pass through the bottom of the tranny to the hydraulic reservoir. The only place that I know of for a suction/air leak is through an o-ring on the manifold. See item #39 (manifold) and o-rings #36, 38, 40, 41. I've never worked on this type setup, but it doesn't look like a big job.
Thank yo for the information. When the guy put the pump back on the tractor he didn't use any gaskets where it attaches to the manifold or tractor. He used a silicone type of gasket in a tube.

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Than

Thank yo for the information. When the guy put the pump back on the tractor he didn't use any gaskets where it attaches to the manifold or tractor. He used a silicone type of gasket in a tube.
oh, that is never the way to do it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess i will have to find some gaskets and o-rings from somewhere. I live in Nova Scotia,Canada. I kind of thought so as well but I figured since he calls himself a tractor restorer with 30 years of experience he would know better than I but maybe not. Thank yo for all your help thus far. Much appreciated.

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
I went on amazon and bought two large sets of "o" ring kits one metric the other standard, best thing ever

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Songrat, if you have no New Holland dealership in your area, you can deal through Messick's (New Holland Dealer), and be assured that you are getting the right parts. Their parts hotline telephone number is 1-877-260-3528. They are located in Pennsylvania.

·
PJ
184 Posts
Hi guys, been away quite a while. Reading this post, my 2 cents is, put the proper gaskets where the factory put them, don't use a vinyl sealer and yes only use quality O rings from NH dealer. The kits, if applicable, are the best way to go. PJ

·
Registered
152 Posts
I guess i will have to find some gaskets and o-rings from somewhere. I live in Nova Scotia,Canada. I kind of thought so as well but I figured since he calls himself a tractor restorer with 30 years of experience he would know better than I but maybe not. Thank yo for all your help thus far. Much appreciated.

Hall Bros in Norton can get the gaskets and seals you need.Can't think of the name of the dealer right off but they are right at the NS/NB border should be able to get them too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.