Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll. I've got a question. I just replaced nearly everything on the ignition system on my tractor. Plugs,wires,coil, cap, rotor and the push button switch.before I did all this it only cranked over 2 or 3 times before it started.Now I have to crank it at least 1/2 a dozen times, stop and repeat 1 or 2 times before it'll start and I have to leave it choked a min or 2. I didnt need to do that before,it ran like a champ. I haven't touched the points and condenser yet.I know I have to do this I just haven't gotten around to it yet.Could this be the problem?

·
Super Moderator
9,430 Posts
I wonder if you got the correct coil for your tractor? You have a 6 volt system, correct? Some coils require a ballast resistor, some don't.
You can do a quick check by putting your old coil on to see if it makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
UNLESS u got all the parts from FORD, ur taking a BIG CHANCE.. There are horror stories all over the web about getting "inferior parts" from a foreign country..
The ones that stick out the most are the caps, rotor & points.. they put the old ones back on & the tractor starts.. The coil is a biggie too.. just start swapping the new for the old, 1 @ a time & see which one is "inferior"..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey ya'll. I've got a question. I just replaced nearly everything on the ignition system on my tractor. Plugs,wires,coil, cap, rotor and the push button switch.before I did all this it only cranked over 2 or 3 times before it started.Now I have to crank it at least 1/2 a dozen times, stop and repeat 1 or 2 times before it'll start and I have to leave it choked a min or 2. I didnt need to do that before,it ran like a champ. I haven't touched the points and condenser yet.I know I have to do this I just haven't gotten around to it yet.Could this be the problem?
Sorry. I have to ask why you replaced everything if it ran so well. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

What machine is it? That is important.

Did you get the right gear to replace what you had? Exactly? If not then go back to the old stuff and try again. If there is still a problem that was not there before, you have disturbed something and you have to work out what. You need to be looking at ANYTHING you touched to do what you did: air intake, fuel, etc.

Depending on the modernity/sophistication of the engine, problems may need diagnostics to solve.

Your difficult start and choke needs sound like an air leak in the air/fuel intake system. But if the machine has fuel injection etc then I withdraw.

·
PJ
184 Posts
Just for the heck of it, (assuming you replaced the condenser also), put the old condenser back in, there might be some decent new condensers out there, but I have no idea who makes them, the ones from Asia, where most new ones come from are junk. PJ

·
Supporting Member
34 Posts
Had same problem, bought tractor with new distributor so I didn’t even look at that prob. Built carb, coil, plugs, 2 sets wires. Then went to NAPA n bought Echlin points (mine looked good however), replaces condenser and now it hits within 3-5 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tractor Forum

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
U said u haven't replaced the points YET.. BE CAREFUL about what I said..
The "aftermarket" points come w/ a coating on them, that mess's up the spark..not good & has to be filed off.. Well, when u do THAT, u might as well throw them in the trash.
Good luck & I hope u find the culprit.. WHEN U DO, come back & tell us what it was/is..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey ya'll. I've got a question. I just replaced nearly everything on the ignition system on my tractor. Plugs,wires,coil, cap, rotor and the push button switch.before I did all this it only cranked over 2 or 3 times before it started.Now I have to crank it at least 1/2 a dozen times, stop and repeat 1 or 2 times before it'll start and I have to leave it choked a min or 2. I didnt need to do that before,it ran like a champ. I haven't touched the points and condenser yet.I know I have to do this I just haven't gotten around to it yet.Could this be the

·
Registered
6 Posts
My brother had a similar problem when he replaced the cap and rotor his new rotor did have a metal shim on the inside where it seated on the distributor shaft and the rotor didn't fit tight
Also instead of replacing the points and condenser invest into the Petronix electronic ignition much better way to go my tractor and my brothers tractor start up almost on the 1st crank over and on Ebay it's about 70 dollar money well spent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts