Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did my new condenser blow? New points and condenser. Tractor ran fine one day and barely ran the next. Now condenser is blown. Its a 6volt system and the guy i got it from put a new 8volt battery in it and said its a common practice. But now condenser is bad. Could the 8 volt battery be the culprit?

·
Super Moderator
9,522 Posts
The 8 volt battery could very well be the culprit. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is clean up the wiring and connections, make sure the wire sizes are correct and put a 6 volt battery in it. If you want the higher voltage, then just go with the 12 volt conversion and forget the business of the 8 volt battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 8 volt battery could very well be the culprit. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is clean up the wiring and connections, make sure the wire sizes are correct and put a 6 volt battery in it. If you want the higher voltage, then just go with the 12 volt conversion and forget the business of the 8 volt battery.
Sounds good but wonder why the 8volt battery? I bought it that way and was told it gave it hotter spark as if that was a common thing. Wonder if older condensers held up and the new ones dont. Wish i knew why the guy did that.

·
Super Moderator
9,522 Posts
Well, I can't say why the previous owner did that, but it makes sense to throw a few more volts at your system to make it better, but there are two schools of thought. I belong to the one that can't figure out why adding resistors and modifying everything from tractors to battery chargers to accommodate an 8 volt battery!?! It sounds like a great idea, but I think going with a 6 volt system that is in prefect working order or converting to a 12 volt system would be the best route to take in my opinion.
By the way, I have two Ford 8N's, one is the original 6 volt system, and the other I converted to 12 volts. Both seem to work well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts