Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone,

I am a farmer from Greece and I own a Ford 4610N(Narrow) tractor.
I decided to get it serviced because of a hamming noise.
The noise turned out to be a faulty ball bearing, however at the shop we noticed that the P.T.O. shaft was heavily damaged with broken and worn out gear teeth.
The shaft has 29 fine straight gear teeth on one side and 15 straight teeth on the other and is a total of 24cm in length. It is also hollow for the engine shaft to pass through.

I cannot find the shaft anywhere in Greece or on the internet for sale. I find a variant with the exact same teeth but different length (30cm). And not even the official partner of new Holland in Greece has heard of the 24cm variant.

The 30cm shaft is this: Ford 4000, 4600, 4610, 3910 PTO Input Shaft (15-Straight Teeth)(11-3/4" Long) -- D1NN772B

Could anyone point me to the right direction as to where to look at for an appropriate replacement? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you very much!

P.S. I am attaching some photos of the damaged shaft and the clutch plate it attaches to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Hello labros_zotos, welcome to the tractor forum.

New parts (if available) will cost you a small fortune. Can you find a local machine shop that can rebuild the teeth for you? Build them up with weld and machine them back to original? I have done less sophisticated but similar work in the middle of Africa, so I know it can be done.
_

There are three different models of the 4610 narrow tractor:
4610N - 3 CYL AG NARROW TRACTOR(01/81 - 02/90)
4610N - NARROW TRACTOR (LATIN AMERICA)(01/81 - 12/91)
4610NO - 3 CYL NARROW ORCHARD TRACTOR(01/81 - 02/90)

Firstly, we need to determine which model 4610N you have. There are three sets of numbers stamped into metal on a flat spot on the clutch housing just above and behind the starter. They may be obscured with dirt, paint, corrosion, but clean the area with a wire brush and find these numbers. Send me the numbers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello labros_zotos, welcome to the tractor forum.

New parts (if available) will cost you a small fortune. Can you find a local machine shop that can rebuild the teeth for you? Build them up with weld and machine them back to original? I have done less sophisticated but similar work in the middle of Africa, so I know it can be done.
_

There are three different models of the 4610 narrow tractor:
4610N - 3 CYL AG NARROW TRACTOR(01/81 - 02/90)
4610N - NARROW TRACTOR (LATIN AMERICA)(01/81 - 12/91)
4610NO - 3 CYL NARROW ORCHARD TRACTOR(01/81 - 02/90)

Firstly, we need to determine which model 4610N you have. There are three sets of numbers stamped into metal on a flat spot on the clutch housing just above and behind the starter. They may be obscured with dirt, paint, corrosion, but clean the area with a wire brush and find these numbers. Send me the numbers.
Hello sixbales, thank you for your reply.

I thought about the repair but I am worried that repairing the teeth will not be as strong as the original and honestly I don't have many options for good machining shops in Greece. Most of the work done here is low quality and without high precision.

The tractor is at the shop at the moment and I will go back tomorrow morning, however I have this photo of the numbers under the engine cover:

What confuses me the most is that my tractor is a 4 cylinder one but most narrows I find are 3 cylinder tractors.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Part #17 (W/IPTO)

No 4-cylinders model in this list
Engine could have been swapped to a 4-cylinders.

Part numbers:
E0NN772BA
GB83926224

*** Edit
I see you have found it:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ridiculous prices!
Buy the longer one and let a machine shop shorten it.
Thanks for your reply, yes I took a look at the different models and found this part that looked correct. I also sent an email to New Holland in the UK to confirm that.

But as you say the pricing is ridiculous. The quote from AVspare was 490 EURO + Tax + Shipping from Latvia...
I did ask the official representative of New Holland in Greece this afternoon and they said they have it at 480 Euro and that they could possibly make a discount.
I will call again tomorrow and ask for the discount.

Do you think that getting the longer one and shortening it is a good idea? Will it not affect the hardness of the metal at the point of welding?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Thanks for your reply, yes I took a look at the different models and found this part that looked correct. I also sent an email to New Holland in the UK to confirm that.

But as you say the pricing is ridiculous. The quote from AVspare was 490 EURO + Tax + Shipping from Latvia...
I did ask the official representative of New Holland in Greece this afternoon and they said they have it at 480 Euro and that they could possibly make a discount.
I will call again tomorrow and ask for the discount.

Do you think that getting the longer one and shortening it is a good idea? Will it not affect the hardness of the metal at the point of welding?
I think only the gear parts are hardened (if any part), the middle of the shaft should be pretty soft and can be normalized after welding. But that is just me guessing, a machinist/welder knows that better.

I do not get why these models need a special clutch/shaft combination. Parts for, say a 4000, are cheap and easy to find, but there has to be something that make a swap impossible. It would be interesting to know what the reason is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts