Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I‘m interested in a couple of items. First is a number I got off right hand side of my Ford 4600 D483153. What may I determine from this.
Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle Wheel

The second below the transmission I found a less than 1/4 inch whole that looks like cotter pin is sticking out. I’m leaking hydraulic fluid from that whole.Please note the 2npics.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Wood Paint

The pin is two the right of the second hole, below by the reverse l.
Motor vehicle Fluid Automotive exterior Fixture Paint

This is a closer look where you can see pins in orange area. Any thoughts on what maybe would be appreciated.
thank you.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
"D" prefixed serial number means that it is a 201 cubic inch (4.4" bore X 4.4" stroke) engine. Original type of engine for a 4600.

The block was (most likely) cast March 7, 1979.

If you look at the other locations marked in the image below, you might find the assembly date for the engine.
Hood Automotive tire Azure Motor vehicle Rectangle

You have oil leaking from the transmission and/or the engine and it ends up at the bottom of the bell housing. The drain hole is there to prevent leaking oil (and condensated water) to reach the clutch parts.

The cotter pin sits in the drain hole, to keep the hole free from debris as it wiggles around. This cleaning action is not that effective, depending on what environments the tractor meets. Especially not if the timing inspection cover on the right side, below the starter motor, is not secured in closed position.

You can use a piece of wire, or something like that, to poke around in the hole to check that it is free from debris. This way you know you have the proper evacuation of liquid.

You need to split the tractor (unbolt the engine from the transmission, and pull them apart) in order to renew the leaking seal(s). Until the leak(s) is(are) fixed, always park the tractor slightly uphill to get rid of as much liquid as you can. The head of the cotter pin can be seen in this image:
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system

1 - 3 of 3 Posts