Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My Ford 4500 was only going into 1st and 3rd, I pulled the cover plate to try and diagnose, then found out I need to replace the fluid also! Either way, I tried putting the cover back on with the shift lever ... now I can’t get into any gear ... any idea if I’m missing any parts or ay certain way to put the linkage back together?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Align the notch in the rail with the lever, and it will pop right in. If it is not aligning using that method, remove the lever from the top cover, align the notch to the hole, install the cover, then align and install the lever.

It is really a good idea to have the repair manual before disassembling components.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You bet, thanks for the help ... I get it lined up and cover back on no problem, but then it wont shift gears ... i feel like I'm missing some of these parts, possibly fell off into the bottom when I pulled the cover the first time? I don't see the 2nd and 4th shift fork but I do have the 2nd and 4th gear shifter plate ... I also don't see the reverse gear shifter plate ... like I said, before I took the cover off, I at least had 1st and 3rd as well as reverse ... now I can't get it to shift into any gears? This is the correct schematic for the 4500 power trans correct?

Also, would these parts off ebay fora a 4000 work for my transmission?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
The parts you show are not compatible. Double check to be sure both the shift rail and the yoke are lined up for the shift lever.

This is your transmission: https://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr49534ar397916

You only have one shift rail and fork in the front case, the second shift rail is down in the soup of water and oil, and is engaged with the bottom of the shifter plate as it rocks.

For some reason the gate on the top cover has a bar welded across the notch to prevent it from full movement. You are going to need the repair manual, and to drain the swap to look for damaged parts that someone appears to have blocked from use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The parts you show are not compatible. Double check to be sure both the shift rail and the yoke are lined up for the shift lever.

This is your transmission: https://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr49534ar397916

You only have one shift rail and fork in the front case, the second shift rail is down in the soup of water and oil, and is engaged with the bottom of the shifter plate as it rocks.

For some reason the gate on the top cover has a bar welded across the notch to prevent it from full movement. You are going to need the repair manual, and to drain the swap to look for damaged parts that someone appears to have blocked from use.

You guys are honestly the best, thanks for you wealth of knowledge ... I truly appreciate it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey RC ... looking to pick your brain again ... on my Ford 4500, I drained and replaced all the hydro fluid ... including emptying the reservoir, the loader arms, and disconnecting and blowing out all the lines ... upon filling and running the machine, the oil again turned white after a while ... this can’t be another water issue right? Does it make sense that somewhere in the system it’s pulling air? Could the pump need to be rebuilt? Or is there air stuck in the system, I can’t find a bleed valve anywhere

after sitting for a while, hydros run fine then about 5 minutes of working them, they still work but they whine?!? I’m out of my element, I figured new fluid would fix this issue ... any ideas?!

I guess I should mention the pump doesn’t whine constantly ... only when I bring the bucket up and adjust the tilt up

Also, what is this unit? The yellow one next to the red filter ... not power steering pump right?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
The pump in the photo is the power steering pump.

White milky oil equates to water in the system. You are going to need to refer to your manual and drain everything, including the torque converter. I suspect you did not drain the torque converter when you drained the rest of the system, the trapped water contaminated the rest of the hydraulic fluid. If you have a loader those cylinders will have to be drained too, same for the three point if so equipped, or all the hoe cylinders if so equipped.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what I thought about the water in the system ... but correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the fluid from the torque converter and transmission was a seperate system, as well as the 3 point ... again I can be wrong, I have a repair manual but cant seem to find any info on draining the system correctly ... just the drain points, all of which I did drain ... thanks for the help, I'll keep searching

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Same sump, different pump, and a 1/2 inch pipe plug on the converter housing that drains the converter unit itself. The three point and all the transmission including the torque converter are fed from the transmission case, but two different pumps. The loader is fed from the loader frame with the front of engine pump, and the power steering has its own reservoir and pump.

Been years since I drained one, but seem to remember a case access cover on the bottom of the transmission that has to be removed to assess the converter pump and the converter itself to reach the converter case plug.

The repair manual should have the instructions for access to the converter pump, and once inside you will see the converter itself.

It can be a real job getting the contaminated oil out of the system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same sump, different pump, and a 1/2 inch pipe plug on the converter housing that drains the converter unit itself. The three point and all the transmission including the torque converter are fed from the transmission case, but two different pumps. The loader is fed from the loader frame with the front of engine pump, and the power steering has its own reservoir and pump.

Been years since I drained one, but seem to remember a case access cover on the bottom of the transmission that has to be removed to assess the converter pump and the converter itself to reach the converter case plug.

The repair manual should have the instructions for access to the converter pump, and once inside you will see the converter itself.

It can be a real job getting the contaminated oil out of the system.

again, thanks for your knowledge ... I appreciate it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts