1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Featured Ford 4000

Discussion in 'Repair & Technical Discussion' started by Joe Woods, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods New Member

Sep 17, 2017
    68 ford 4000. 3 cyl. Governor stuck in wide open position. What are the causes. How to fix

2. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Howdy Joe, welcome to the tractor forum.

We need to know.....gas or diesel engine?

3. Joe Woods

Joe Woods New Member

Sep 17, 2017
  4. sixbales

May 17, 2011
    Joe,

First thing to check is that all of your throttle control rods are connected. It may be a simple case of a connector falling off.

Your governor requires a spring load to operate against. See item #24 or #24A on the attached throttle control diagram. Check for a broken spring.

Check also spring #21 on attached governor diagram.

Attached Files:

5. Joe Woods

Joe Woods New Member

Sep 17, 2017

6. Joe Woods

Joe Woods New Member

Sep 17, 2017
    I've operated the throttle lever and it looks like all the linkage looks to be operating properly to the governer

7. sixbales

May 17, 2011
    Good. Check also for a broken or missing spring.

8. Joe Woods

Joe Woods New Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Ok. Is there anything that would break inside

9. sixbales

May 17, 2011
    Yes, you will have to get a shop/service manual for your tractor to proceed inside the governor.

10. Joe Woods

Joe Woods New Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Ok. Been looking for a governor or repair parts but can't find anything

11. sixbales

May 17, 2011
    Howdy Joe,

I haven't found a repair/rebuild kit for a 1968 Ford 4000. Messicks (New Holland Dealership) has individual parts for virtually everything in the governor, but pricey. See governor diagram I sent you previously....they list every part. So, you will have to tear into the governor, see what your problem is and order parts as required.

There's a good discussion of a '68 Ford 4000 governor on the internet. Do an internet search for 1968 4000 3cyl gas governor problems

12. Joe Woods

Joe Woods New Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Cool. Will do. Thanks. I don't want to tear into it til I kn2know I can get the parts

13. Graysonr

Graysonr Registered User Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Don't know what your mechanical experience is, but several parts supply points could well have the governor as a used part. My experience is the Allstatetractorparts in particular warranties used parts for a year as well as their new ones. They got a used parts man on the phone that knows tractors.

14. Graysonr

Graysonr Registered User Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2017
    the output rod from the governor goes to the throttle body of the carb. You might want to make sure the throttle is not jammed.

15. Joe Woods

Joe Woods New Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Ive checked with them and quite a few others. The problem is the governor is stuck wide open. Don't want to tear into it til I have some idea of problem and whether I can get parts

16. Ultradog

Ultradog Active Member

Feb 27, 2005
    I haven't been on this board for a while.
    Did you get your governor fixed?
    I may be able to help.

17. Joe Woods

Joe Woods New Member

Sep 17, 2017
    I have the governor.need the nut is coming

18. sixbales

May 17, 2011
    What did you find wrong with the governor Joe?

19. Ultradog

Ultradog Active Member

Feb 27, 2005
    One thing I would suggest is to make sure the oil passages in the block and the governor/distributer are clear.
    Have seen it more than once where there is no oil getting to the governor parts.
    Pull that little line off and turn the engine over to insure you are getting good oil flow there. Also trace the oil passages through the governor.
    Clean them out if need be and test for flow before reassembling everything.

20. Joe Woods

Joe Woods New Member

Sep 17, 2017
    1st it wouldn't throttle up. Then I pried on governor lever. It stuck wide open. And destroyed the governor