1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Featured Ford 4000 - Transmission leak, Top.

Discussion in 'Repair & Technical Discussion' started by Howard4000, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Howard4000

Howard4000 New Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Just picked up a '68 gas Ford.

After working it a while - twin rake hitch - hyd steer for second rake - the transmission seemed way too hot and then it started to leak oil out of the shifter holes in the top plate.

No other symptoms though I never had a ford before so I am not sure that I am operating correctly - ie., does the lift arm position effect hyd remote. I altered 3 point height when remote seemed slow - inconclusive effect...

Thanks.

NB. Not a tractor 'nube' - have IH 686 and DB 1290, just new to Ford.

Graysonr likes this.
  2. willys55

willys55 Caractacus Potts Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Welcome to Tractor Forum Howard.

Did you check the fluid level after it cooled down? Might be over full or water in there

ar_confederate and sixbales like this.

3. Howard4000

Howard4000 New Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Thanks Russ. No, I haven't checked any fluids yet - yes I know that sounds a little irresponcible, but had hay down and in a bit of a panic!
    I have also considered that there may be a blocked breather putting pressure on the transmission as the pump worked harder and the temp rose.. I'll see if I can find anything like this......

4. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Howdy Howard,

See item #7 on attached parts diagram. Fluid level check plug. Either a square-headed pipe plug, or a socket headed plug. Pull this plug, and if fluid comes out you are overfull. As Russ pointed out, probably water in the fluid (condensation or rain water, depending on whether it was left outside all the time or not). Fluid will have a milky appearance if water contaminated. Transmission is a separate reservoir.

Your hydraulic reservoir is in the rear differential section.

Attached Files:

Graysonr likes this.
  5. Howard4000

Howard4000 New Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Holy Dipstick Batman - pulled sq plug #7 as referenced and out came damn near a gallon of clean oil.... (Not yellow/white condensate mix)
    No idea what was going on with previous owner. However, re trans temp, will the new smaller - yet more correct volume, mean less oil to 'cool' things down. Still curious about a potential blocked breather.

Newer question - there seems to be a split cotter pin hanging out of a hole in the bottom of the trans (towards the front) - it's loose with no oil leaking so obviously not part of the oil chamber - any ideas, nothing showing on the above parts diag..

Thanks again.

Graysonr likes this.
  6. Howard4000

Howard4000 New Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Split pin...

Attached Files:

7. sixbales

May 17, 2011
    If that hole with the cotter pin sticking out is in the bottom of the clutch housing, that is a drain hole to keep any fluid leakage from accumulating in the clutch housing . The purpose of the cotter pin is to keep it from plugging. Since you have no fluid coming out of this hole, and the cotter pin is loose, it means that your rear main engine seal and freeze plugs are not leaking and also your transmission input shaft seal(s) are not leaking. That's good news for you....there's not supposed to be fluid in the clutch housing.

BTW, you never mentioned, is this a 8 speed transmission (4 fwd & 1 reverse + hi/lo)? Is so, this is just a gearbox, with oil in it. It gets hot to the touch, but I wouldn't worry about it. Are there any strange noises coming from the transmission?

Graysonr likes this.
  8. Howard4000

Howard4000 New Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Thanks - that makes sense.... No leaks, drips etc., so I guess I'm all ok on that front.

Transmission is an 8 speed. I'll get it back into work tomorrow and see if the reduced fluid will stop the top leak as originally posted.

Graysonr likes this.
  9. sixbales

May 17, 2011
    As long as your transmission fluid level is good, don't worry about the temperature. I never touch mine because I know 1) The tranny is doing a lot of work, and 2) I know it's hot. Your gearbox is very tough, nearly indestructible. If the leak persists out by the gearshift, you will have to replace some seals.....I've never done that.

Graysonr likes this.
  10. dozer966

dozer966 Registered User

Dec 30, 2014
    Sudbury area
    As sixbales said your HYD reservoir is the rear diff. You might want to do a level check and oil quality on that one also. This reservoir supplies the rear mounted HYD pump which supplies HYD pressure for the 3 point hitch and if equipped your rear axillary valves.

Graysonr and sixbales like this.
  11. Howard4000

Howard4000 New Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Thanks guys. Worked it a little today - no sign of any oil wanting to leave the top of the box thankfully.
    Ill check the rear tomorrow.

Graysonr, dozer966 and sixbales like this.
  12. sixbales

May 17, 2011
    The oil level check plug for the rear differential reservoir is a square-headed pipe plug screwed into the upper front quadrant of the pump cover on the right side of your center housing. Your hydraulics take fluid from this reservoir. It will be by your right heel as you are seated on the tractor. See attached picture (photo compliments of UltradogMN).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Graysonr, Howard4000 and dozer966 like this.
  13. Graysonr

Graysonr Registered User

Mar 31, 2017
    I agree with all that was said, especially 6bales and dozer. I do hope the fluid you found in transmission had that typical hydraulic oil smell and not motor oil. While you are at it, you might read the Article on my profile regarding a newly acquired older tractor. The rear axle /hydraulic fluid level should, I believe be checked with the lift arms in the down position. Also specifically the steering gear housing fluid as well. Got the owner's manual? A darn good idea!