Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to anything mechanical, inherited this old ford 4000 gas with the property. While running brush hog the white smoke started coming out of the bottom of the left side of the tractor. Oil level good, transmission fluid good. Added coolant and didn’t fix the problem any. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this or where a good place to start is? Appreciate any help as I’m learning from this forum and YouTube only. Thanks!
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Normally that means loss of compression, combustion gases getting past the piston rings. If the tractor has been sitting idle for a period of years, it is possible that the piston rings have unseated (stuck).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Normally that means loss of compression, combustion gases getting past the piston rings. If the tractor has been sitting idle for a period of years, it is possible that the piston rings have unseated (stuck).
I have used it a few times this spring/summer and haven’t had this issue until this week. I believe the old user used it several times a year for food plots. Would this still likely be the issue? It seemed like it was choking itself out and decreasing the rpm right before the smoke was noticeable. I should have mentioned that in the first post.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I think a compression test is in order, to check if something has changed with one of the cylinders. Does your engine seem to be "missing" on one cylinder?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think a compression test is in order, to check if something has changed with one of the cylinders. Does your engine seem to be "missing" on one cylinder?
I just ran a compression test
1- 115
2-120
3-125

unfortunately I don’t have an owners manual and having a hard time finding what it should be for my tractor. They all seem fairly close but not sure the what a good threshold is either. It does take several seconds for them to build up to that as well. Not sure if that’s an issue. I spoke to someone at the dealer and they said to start cold and remove radiator cap to see if there are any air bubbles and would determine if my head gasket was the issue. No air bubbles that I can see. Any thoughts on where to go from here?
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for sending those, that should help quite a bit. I tested oil pressure and was around 55-60 at 1400rpm. Manual shows should be 60-70 at 1000rpm. I’m idling at 14000. Not sure if that is a concern to be a little below the threshold the manual states or if that small amount is insignificant?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts