Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I googled to learn about the cotter pin that hangs from a hole below my engine/transmission. Apparently it is a drain so that fluid doesnt back up and mess up the clutch.
Well mine is dripping a lot of fluid off the cotter pin every time i mow and i have to continually add fluid to top off tranny.
What is the fix ? is this expensive and a major repair ?

Thanks for any advice. Mark Cantrell
Heber Springs Arkansas

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hello Mark, welcome to the forum.

You apparently have a transmission input shaft seal leak. To fix this, you will have to split the tractor (between the engine and the clutch housing) to get to the transmission input shaft seals. If your clutch is ancient, you might as well do it at the same time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've posted this before and I won't guarantee a positive result but, you can try adding a bit of brake fluid to the gearbox oil (couple ounces). The brake fluid will cause the leaking seal to swell and may curtail the leak. If it don't, like Harvey said... Split time. Just no easy way to access the seal except that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Actually, the pin is to allow any accumulated water to get out, not oil. Water in the bell housing ='s a stuck clutch plate, rusted to the flywheel.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I realize that. But the weep hole is meant to expel water in the bell housing. Try my tip I posted in a previous post before getting into splitting the unit. Lot less expensive as an alternative.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts