Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ford 4000 gas 3 cylinder. I have put kits in the carb as well as new points , plugs , wires ect. At cold start it purrs like a kitten runs great but after a minute or two it starts to chug like it’s choke is on and puffs a little black smoke out exhaust. I’ve gone through the carb twice and seems very clean. I also have a new pick up pump on for the fuel as well.I’m worried it mite be valves or something worse. Any advice would be great. Thank you

·
Registered
108 Posts
Black smoke can be caused by a cylinder that fires occasionally because some of the fuel not burned will stay in stay in the cylinder if not ignited and will smoke black due to the "rich" mixture when it does fire. A rich carburetor setting is not the only cause of black smoke. If the ignition system is good then the most likely is the carburetor.
I don't think this carburetor has a accelerator pump or an power valve but they can also upset the fuel mixture if they are leaking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a ford 4000 gas 3 cylinder. I have put kits in the carb as well as new points , plugs , wires ect. At cold start it purrs like a kitten runs great but after a minute or two it starts to chug like it’s choke is on and puffs a little black smoke out exhaust. I’ve gone through the carb twice and seems very clean. I also have a new pick up pump on for the fuel as well.I’m worried it mite be valves or something worse. Any advice would be great. Thank you
Did you replace the float? If not take it out of carb and shake it, assuming it is a brass float, to see if you can tell if it has any fuel in it. another thing to try is put it in a container of warm water and watch for any bubbles. Not likely a valve problem. just sounds like it is flooding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts