Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tachometer on my 1987 Ford 3910, 3 cyl. diesel tractor recently stopped working. I changed out the cable, but the inner drive cable isn't turning. Does someone have a diagram of what is inside this housing once I take it apart?
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Auto part

· Registered
1,476 Posts
It is just a short little square cable.
It bends down and pushes into a square hole in the oil pump drive gear that is driven off the cam.
Very, very simple.
Unscrew the bolt on top about halfway and it just pulls out. Probably have to remove the oil filter first.
You should see where it has broken.
If it broke in the hole of the drive gear, reach in with your fingers or pliers and just pull the gear out then tap it on the bench. Nothing will go SPROING or fall inside. You might have to rotate the gear a couple/few teeth one way or the other to get it back in.
Do Not start the engine with the drive gear out.
You'll have no oil pressure.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is just a short little square cable.
It bends down and pushes into a square hole in the oil pump drive gear that is driven off the cam.
Very, very simple.
Unscrew the bolt on top about halfway and it just pulls out. Probably have to remove the oil filter first.
You should see where it has broken.
If it broke in the hole of the drive gear, reach in with your fingers or pliers and just pull the gear out then tap it on the bench. Nothing will go SPROING or fall inside. You might have to rotate the gear a couple/few teeth one way or the other to get it back in.
Do Not start the engine with the drive gear out.
You'll have no oil pressure.
Thanks, I appreciate your reply!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts