Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1976 Ford 335 Industrial... Just got the power steering to work and all was going good. Picked up the first load of logs and dumped them on the pile when the bucket refused to go back up or tilt. It would only go down. Looking at the pump atfa hment on the front of the tractor there seems to be about and inch of travel play in the shaft that ties the engine to the pump. Is there a clutch or spring loaded mechanism that forces the gears into the pump?

I put a zip tie on the shaft to indicate where I am talking about.. This shaft with the what I would call a clutch bearing moves about an inch and pulls off the splines. Is there a manual or parts breakdown that anyone can share?

Thanks!!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Liquid Plumbing Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wood Tire

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
Howdy TQ_TX, welcome to the tractor forum.

There is no clutch or spring loaded mechanism that forces the splines into the pump. There is a coupler (pictured) that flexes to compensate for any misalignment between engine pulley and pump input shaft. Can you slide the pump back to remove most of the end play? I would leave a small amount of end play to allow for temperature expansion, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does slide front to back about an inch which engages the length of splines on the hydraulic pump end. When we move it that way and then start the tractor, it has already disengaged by moving back towards the engine that inch by the time the tractor has warmed up. This is a new problem as it was working just fine before. It seems that something changed in the linkage, that is why I was wondering on a clutch or something.
The only thing we have done on that end is poewewash all the crud off of it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good things to check... How does the shaft attach to the engine pulley? Looked like it just slides into some splines? The pump is still secure in I think it's original position.. It has to be how it connects to the engine pulley... It's a tight spot I need to see how to get into... What am I looking for?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts