Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tractor power steering has failed. I've tried to rebuild the unit but still didn't work, so I bought a new/used power steering pump and it didn't fit PS, bought a rebuilt unit that looked same but was a little different and didn't work. I don't know what to do next. Sure hope someone out there can help. Power steering unit on my Ford below. Second photo is both units, on left is the one I rebuilt and right is the one I bought that was rebuilt but did not quite fit. I've been without my tractor for months and really need to get it back into the field.
Blue Automotive tire Bicycle part Plumbing Automotive wheel system
Blue Azure Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car

Blue Automotive tire Bicycle part Plumbing Automotive wheel system
Blue Azure Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
To begin with you can tell us more about your tractor.
Better yet, post some photos of the Left side and one from the front showing the axle.
I say this because that is not a typical 3000 power steering part. It might be an after market add on or it is from an industrial model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To begin with you can tell us more about your tractor.
Better yet, post some photos of the Left side and one from the front showing the axle.
I say this because that is not a typical 3000 power steering part. It might be an after market add on or it is from an industrial model.
Thanks, will get them later today, appreciate your feedback. It's driving me crazy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm have time to get back on the forum. Here are some photos
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Blue

Wheel Blue Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire

Blue Azure Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Blue

and by the way the tractor is a Ford 4000 and 1969. We are pretty sure the power steering unit if factory install based upon several comment from others and just the way it is installed. Hope photo help.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Good Morning John, welcome to the forum.

Your front axle looks like one from a Ford 3500 / 3550 model. I think we need to positively identify your tractor.

There are 3 sets of numbers stamped into the metal on a flat spot just above and behind your starter. Serial number, model number, and date of manufacture. They may be covered with dirt, paint, or rust. May need to wire brush to clean up. Post these 3 sets of numbers and someone here will translate them for you.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm have time to get back on the forum. Here are some photos View attachment 79447
View attachment 79446
View attachment 79449
View attachment 79448
and by the way the tractor is a Ford 4000 and 1969. We are pretty sure the power steering unit if factory install based upon several comment from others and just the way it is installed. Hope photo help.
Wtf???
This forum software really sucks sometimes.
3rd time I have tried to make this reply.
John, you have a 4400.
Harvey,
The 3500/3550 used the same axle but steered it differently than a 4400. 35xx used the same external, side arm style PS as was used on the early 4000 all purpose.
Also used this very heavy steering arm in front.
Wheel Tire Tractor Automotive tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
John,
What is it doing or not doing?
I had a 4400 about 10 years ago and went thru the PS on it. I thought it was pretty straightforward.
There are several adjustments between the steering box and the hydraulic actuator which piggybacks on the PS cylinder. I Remember all those little plates and pins were worn and sloppy so I drilled the holes larger and used a metric pin to take up the slop. That helped a lot.
Also, the 5000 tractors used a very similar PS unit under the radiator. I have not been into one of those but have been told they are different enough that they won't interchange.
Have you pressure checked the pump,
Pressure check is usually a 1st or second thing to check. The pump should be making ~1100 psi.
A 3000 pump only puts out about 750 psi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good Morning John, welcome to the forum.

Your front axle looks like one from a Ford 3500 / 3550 model. I think we need to positively identify your tractor.

There are 3 sets of numbers stamped into the metal on a flat spot just above and behind your starter. Serial number, model number, and date of manufacture. They may be covered with dirt, paint, or rust. May need to wire brush to clean up. Post these 3 sets of numbers and someone here will translate them for you.
Thanks for looking at my problem. I'll have to get the numbers tomorrow when I go over to the farm. Everything I've replace and worked on says it's a 4000. We were not sure of the year for a while, seller told us it was a 72 but pretty sure now it's a 69. Thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John,
What is it doing or not doing?
I had a 4400 about 10 years ago and went thru the PS on it. I thought it was pretty straightforward.
There are several adjustments between the steering box and the hydraulic actuator which piggybacks on the PS cylinder. I Remember all those little plates and pins were worn and sloppy so I drilled the holes larger and used a metric pin to take up the slop. That helped a lot.
Also, the 5000 tractors used a very similar PS unit under the radiator. I have not been into one of those but have been told they are different enough that they won't interchange.
Have you pressure checked the pump,
Pressure check is usually a 1st or second thing to check. The pump should be making ~1100 psi.
A 3000 pump only puts out about 750 psi.
Have not checked to pump pressure but did buy another one (used) just to try to eliminate something. It didn't help. Appreciate any ideas on how to check pump PSI. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Sounds like no pressure?
Two pumps and hydraulic units and the same result?
So you threw a bunch of money at the thing to fix it.
Been there. Done that.
Learned though. Just as you can't see electrons flow and need a meter to read your electrics you need a pressure guage to analyze hydraulics.
You can buy a pressure gage from the usual billionaires. Hook it up on the pressure side of your pump. Rolling the engine over on the starter would build some pressure. You dont want to start the engine for more than a second or 2 as you are deadheading the pump.
I'm not a hydraulics man. If someone has a better way to check the pressure I'm all ears. But that is what I would do.
I did not like the steering on the 4400 I had. Sold it but liked that style of front end so bought another 4400 axle and am steering it differently.
Gauge Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Material property Auto part

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess more money on a gauge, got to get this Dmn thing running. Already missed planting!. Have a couple other leads thanks to the forum but yours seem a logical one. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you haven't used the pressure gage yet I recommend getting the proper fittings to T into the high pressure line and test pressure with motor running by turning the steering wheel in both directions . But first the items in the first photos appear to be the slave cylinders maybe there's a photo that i didn't see if not ,the pump is located below the generator with two lines going up to the fluid reservoir above the generator there is a screen inside the reservoir that needs to be cleaned every now a then usually when the screen gets clogged your steering will gradually get weak unless the feed line gets completely stopped up from trash or incorrect fluid causing the rubber line to swell closed (I use hydro fluid in my 2000 which has a similar pump but different controls/cylinders ) one of the lines feeds the fluid to the pump the other is the overflow from the pressure valve there's also a lower line on the reservoir which is the fluid return from the control/cylinders. If you can locate the feed line try disconnecting it at the pump without motor running, fluid should flow freely and be clean if not check rubber hose, and screen inside reservoir I would drain fluid clean or replace screen and clean inside of reservoir. Note: there should be a plug near the rear of pump that has spacers that can be added or removed to increase or decrease pressure the manual will tell you which one has the spacers and how to change them.
Good luck . I went down this road a couple of years ago managed to get mine working

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you haven't used the pressure gage yet I recommend getting the proper fittings to T into the high pressure line and test pressure with motor running by turning the steering wheel in both directions . But first the items in the first photos appear to be the slave cylinders maybe there's a photo that i didn't see if not ,the pump is located below the generator with two lines going up to the fluid reservoir above the generator there is a screen inside the reservoir that needs to be cleaned every now a then usually when the screen gets clogged your steering will gradually get weak unless the feed line gets completely stopped up from trash or incorrect fluid causing the rubber line to swell closed (I use hydro fluid in my 2000 which has a similar pump but different controls/cylinders ) one of the lines feeds the fluid to the pump the other is the overflow from the pressure valve there's also a lower line on the reservoir which is the fluid return from the control/cylinders. If you can locate the feed line try disconnecting it at the pump without motor running, fluid should flow freely and be clean if not check rubber hose, and screen inside reservoir I would drain fluid clean or replace screen and clean inside of reservoir. Note: there should be a plug near the rear of pump that has spacers that can be added or removed to increase or decrease pressure the manual will tell you which one has the spacers and how to change them.
Good luck . I went down this road a couple of years ago managed to get mine working
Thanks. Will check the filter out. I did put on another used pump I bought and that didn’t help it. I know I getting some fluid to the ‘slave’ unit but don’t know how much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts