Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone! I'm new to the group and new to tractors in general! I have a 73 ford 3000 that doesn't seem to be charging and looking for some info on where to look for my issue.

When I bought the tractor (about a month or so ago), the generator light was illuminated most of the time at lower rpm's. Usually, if I opened the throttle a little more it would go out and all seemed well. One afternoon, after running the tractor most of the morning, I shut the engine down for a little while then went to start it up again and it would not turn over. I started looking it over and to make a long story short, I'll provide some info below relating to what steps I have already taken:

• Checked voltage at battery (with engine off) = 12.0 V
  • Checked voltage at battery (with engine running) = 12.4 V
  • Not sure where to check voltage at generator or regulator, though the previous owner said he had replaced the generator some time ago, though has never changed the regulator (he was a second owner)
  • I can charge the battery overnight and it will hold (off charger) at around 13.6V and start up and run just fine; it's only after it has been shut down a few times that it fails to start back up.
  • I have replaced the positive and negative battery cables and cleaned/wire brushed the battery terminals
I believe I should be getting more voltage at the battery with the tractor running, though I'm not sure how much; I'm thinking like an alternator somewhere between 14-15V. I'm thinking maybe start with the regulator since it is probably the oldest part in that particular system, though just looking to more experience for additional thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
Marty

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hello, everyone! I'm new to the group and new to tractors in general! I have a 73 ford 3000 that doesn't seem to be charging and looking for some info on where to look for my issue.

When I bought the tractor (about a month or so ago), the generator light was illuminated most of the time at lower rpm's. Usually, if I opened the throttle a little more it would go out and all seemed well. One afternoon, after running the tractor most of the morning, I shut the engine down for a little while then went to start it up again and it would not turn over. I started looking it over and to make a long story short, I'll provide some info below relating to what steps I have already taken:

• Checked voltage at battery (with engine off) = 12.0 V
  • Checked voltage at battery (with engine running) = 12.4 V
  • Not sure where to check voltage at generator or regulator, though the previous owner said he had replaced the generator some time ago, though has never changed the regulator (he was a second owner)
  • I can charge the battery overnight and it will hold (off charger) at around 13.6V and start up and run just fine; it's only after it has been shut down a few times that it fails to start back up.
  • I have replaced the positive and negative battery cables and cleaned/wire brushed the battery terminals
I believe I should be getting more voltage at the battery with the tractor running, though I'm not sure how much; I'm thinking like an alternator somewhere between 14-15V. I'm thinking maybe start with the regulator since it is probably the oldest part in that particular system, though just looking to more experience for additional thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
Marty
Hi Marty, welcome to the forum!

I would do a thorough health check on the system. This shop manual is always good to have:

However, it does not cover the electrical system that well. I attached a piece of another document that is more instructive. I also attach a PDF with wiring diagrams.

It is nice to have an Operator's Handbook:

A portable parts list is also handy:

First easy check: Is the regulator "E" tab connected to ground properly?
You do have a minor charging function, but anyhow: Polarize the generator according to the instructions in ford_2000-7000_service_1965-1975_sec_wat_228_241.pdf, PDF page 9.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Is the tractor still the original generator with voltage regulator or has it been changed to an alternator?
If still Gen/Vreg I suggest you do yourself a big favor and convert it to an alternator

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the tractor still the original generator with voltage regulator or has it been changed to an alternator?
If still Gen/Vreg I suggest you do yourself a big favor and convert it to an alternator
Yes, This is still a generator/VReg, though (at least) the generator has been replaced once, several years ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts