Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need help figuring out what issues I could have!
Ford 3000 3 cylinder I think it's a 1967

So tractor was running and blew a crap ton of smoke out breather tube. We shut tractor off and checked it saw nothing odd, but it wouldn't start back. So we changed oil in the simms pump it was past due. The Tractor started kinda head knock we checked oil again, and had a hydraulic smell so changed it and blow by is almost gone as far as I know.
we have not ran it long kinda scared too

But now I have hydraulic fuild coming out of the rear end on the 3 point arms never has this happen before....

Could this be more than one issue or maybe linked..

Maybe the rings and maybe a seal on the hydro pump???

Anyone else ever had this happen
Liquid Azure Blue Fluid Wood
Plant Bedrock Grass Groundcover Natural landscape

Blue Azure Wood Branch Vegetation

Blue Motor vehicle Gas Electric blue Auto part

Automotive tire Water Liquid Wood Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Engineering

Blue Azure Paint Wood Grey

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
That is an odd place for a leak.
My first thought is a hydraulic hose above the area that is leaking. Any hoses going to the back end?
Second thought is that your rear end is so over full that it is kicking oil out.
Have you checked the level?
The oil is unbelievably DIRTY.
Time for a drain, flush and refill.
Looks like you have an SOS transmission?
I can't help on the inj. pump. I've never owned one with a Simms.
Proper sentences with punctuation helps a Lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking it is over full also.. Yes it's very dirty I noticed that's also thats why im asking about a seal cause the hydro fluid is black. And is has no hoses in that area no sir. It's coming out of the 3 point arms.

I just find it funny that transmission is now leaking black hydro fuild and found it in the oil pan also..

I have no idea what Trans it has I know it's a hydrostatic 8 speed that's about it I'd love to drain it and refill it needs done.

Proper sentences with punctuation helps a Lot.
"Sorry it wasn't up to your standards they don't teach us proper English in these parts".

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Can you show a photo of the rear end looking at the 3 point rock shaft and not that close, enough to be able to see both sides of the rock shaft in the photo, seems like both rockshaft seals have failed, to me the oil looks to be used engine oil that is leaking out, not saying it is, but I have never seen transmission oil go that colour, even from extremely long use.

When the engine blew out the smoke, did you check the engine oil level to see if this was overfull?, if it was, then possibly the oil seal on the hydraulic pump is leaking.

You can also get diesel fuel into the engine crankcase leaking from the injection pump drive shaft oil seal, to check this, you would need to periodically check the oil in the injection pump sump.

You would need to do a smell test occasionally of the engine oil to determine of which may be leaking into the engine crankcase and from this test, you can decide which seal will need replacing .

And looking at the rear end, this has had an oil weep/leak for quite some time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can you show a photo of the rear end looking at the 3 point rock shaft and not that close, enough to be able to see both sides of the rock shaft in the photo, seems like both rockshaft seals have failed, to me the oil looks to be used engine oil that is leaking out, not saying it is, but I have never seen transmission oil go that colour, even from extremely long use.

yes it's not right color at all thats what has me worried I've never seen 3 point arms pouring out like that. I don't think anyone ever put motor oil in it it's my aunts tractor so I just got the call to fix it.. who knows but I doubt it my uncle paid a ford / tractor tech to service it up until he passed away.
The pic will have to wait the tractor is about 70 miles north of me. But I'll get it

When the engine blew out the smoke, did you check the engine oil level to see if this was overfull?, if it was, then possibly the oil seal on the hydraulic pump is leaking.

It was not over full it was about perfect until I ran it then it was on the lower end... even after the oil change it was a tad lower

You can also get diesel fuel into the engine crankcase leaking from the injection pump drive shaft oil seal, to check this, you would need to periodically check the oil in the injection pump sump.

This is a possibility but the oil had no diesel smell just hydraulic.

You would need to do a smell test occasionally of the engine oil to determine of which may be leaking into the engine crankcase and from this test, you can decide which seal will need replacing .

And looking at the rear end, this has had an oil weep/leak for quite some time.

**Yes she has been leaking a while but nothing like what happened today it was only a very tiny drip

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
And yes this is the SOS transmission 8 speed if anyone would have the manual on how to drain and refill it and the right type of hydro fuild
And what seals I would need for the rock shafts ect...

Also spoke with dad about it, he said it was so much smoke it was like it was on fire. I'm guessing the oil was thin enough to come past the rings....

but still not really sure where I so go past fixing the rear end issues.

Have yall ever seen oil in the transmission before?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It is an odd case.
Looking at the tractor from front to back:
- It may be possible for the inj pump to allow diesel fuel into the engine.
However it is impossible for it to get engine oil or diesel fuel into the transmission or the rear end.
Flat out can Not.
  • The transmission is a seperate compartment from the rear end. Has oil seals on the back end. After 50 years there is likely some leakage between the trans and rear end but that would be minimal. Like a cup of oil a year.
  • Transmission holds maybe 2 gallons of oil. If somehow it completely emptied it self into the rear end, not only would the tractor be unable to move, it could not raise the rear end level by more than an inch or two.
  • Rear end holds about 6 gallons.
Check the oil level for us. Remove square head plug and it should just barely dribble out. DO
Blue Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Wood

NOT remove the slotted head screw below it! See photo.
There are no seals on the rock shaft (3 pt lift arms) they are just a steel shaft rotating in a bronze bushing The oil level in the rear end is normally about 10" below them. They get a wee bit of splash oil from the gears turning inside.
It may be possible to have an internal hyd leak under the lift cover that is spraying oil towards that rock shaft. Lift cover has to come off to inspect
That or the rear end is about 5 gallons over full.
What is the history of the tractor. Just bought it?
Had it for years?
Also, no offense to your dad but is he old or forgetful? Could he have over filled it?
That ransmission is complex and rather particular about oil.
ONLY use a good grade of UTF (universal tractor fluid) that says it meets Ford 134D specs on the label. Same oil in both trans and rear end.
Select O Speed is 10 forward 2 reverse.
Wasn't asking you to write great literature like Ernest Hemingway or Mark Twain. Just make sentences.
If my small brain has to decipher your questions to figure them out it means less brain power devoted to helping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is an odd case.
Looking at the tractor from front to back:

- It may be possible for the inj pump to allow diesel fuel into the engine.

** I'll keep an eye on this but the oil didn't smell of diesel.

However it is impossible for it to get engine oil or diesel fuel into the transmission or the rear end.
Flat out can Not.

** and forget me I was going down the rabbit hole and found this on YouTube what is the chances she could be right??

Had it for years?

*** Yes my aunt has owned it for many many years

Also, no offense to your dad but is he old or forgetful?

****None taken my dad didn't add anything to it my aunt would kick his butt

Could he have over filled it?
She didnt add anything to it...
Even when I checked oil it was not over full just smelled of hydro fluid really bad...

And as far as the rockshaft would part 3 not be the seal?
Rectangle Font Line Circuit component Parallel
Wheel Tire Font Circle Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clean the numbers with a wire wheel, so they are readable. There are three lines, the upper (Model Code) is most important.

I'll get it this weekend and repost

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I watched about the first 20 seconds of the girl video.
What she's showing is unrelated to what you have going on. I had thought maybe your rear end had gotten over filled somehow. But the hyd pump draws its oil from the rear end so it certainly can't "make" oil to over fill it.
I did not know about those orings on the rock shaft.
Have had a dozen of those lift covers off but never needed to remove the rock shaft - which you'd need to do to replace - or even see those orings.
Ya learn something new every day...
I'm thinking you have something leaking under the lift cover.
Try this:
Put a mower or heavy implement on the 3 point.
Start the tractor and lift it. Watch for oil leaking from that rock shaft. Then shut the engine off and tell us how long it takes for the implement to settle back to the ground. I'll bet it is pretty quick.
The seals in the lift piston get worn and leak and yours may have a real bad spot. The open end of the lift cylinder is toward the back end of the lift cover so it is probably shooting oil out and causing the leak.
Good, tight piston seals will keep an implement raised for a long time. Days sometimes.
There is a bit of a trick to removing the lift cover.
Tube on right, front of it has to stay DOWN in order to pull it.
Renew the piston seals and inspect/replace the cam follower pin if worn much at all.
Gasket and piston seal kit is only $25 or so. Cam follower pin a couple bucks.
No silicone, gasket sealer or pucky on hydraulics.
Put it together dry.
Keep us up to date please. We're all learning here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The lift cover isn’t too bad to get off. Its a little heavy and awkward. Maybe best with two people, but not terrible. I had to take mine off last year to fix a 3 pt “no lift” issue.

I got all the parts to fix mine from yesterday’s tractors. Including the o-ring kit and new seal for the lift cover. It was cheap like Ultradog said. And refresh any many things as you can while the covers off. That way you won’t have to take it off again for a long time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Btw, the color of that oil looks like used Diesel engine oil to me.

Yes that has been the debait as to what caused it I know motor oil was never put in the rear end but it here it is so I'm still trying to figure out why

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's what my gut is telling me it is so I've ordered a rebuild kit for It and we will see how it goes still not sure why oil is coming out of the rockshaft but I think I'll try the gaskets and see or maybe it's over full I'll keep you updated

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's what my gut is telling me it is so I've ordered a rebuild kit for It and we will see how it goes still not sure why oil is coming out of the rockshaft but I think I'll try the gaskets and see or maybe it's over full I'll keep you updated
The suction of the hydraulic pump, there is a oilseal that packs up when the bearing goes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts