Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ford 3000 that was running perfectly and all of a sudden it wouldn't start. I mean, we turned it off, went for coffee and it wouldn't start when we got back.

Its definitely an electrical problem, when I turn the key the dash lights slowly, dimly lights up. So there is power going to it but its not getting full power. When I crank it sometimes I get a couple fast clicks, but most of the time I hear absolutely nothing. I've looked for melted wire, I've changed the ignition, the battery, made sure the ground everywhere was tight and clean and pulled the starter. Also pulled the cover off of the voltage regulator and everything looks good

But I can start it if I take a set of jumper cables directly from the battery to the starter. At that point, the dash lights up bright in 1 second and it will start.

So somewhere between the ignition and the starter I've got an issue. Has anyone run into this before? I'm totally stumped.

·
Administrator
11,076 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Make sure you are certain that the battery connections, both ends, are taken apart, cleaned to make good contact and reconnected nice and tight. If you do that and the problem persists, at least you know that you have good connections.
I had the same thing happen to a car I had. Everything was nice and tight and connect properly, but I got a slow start sometimes, or a clicking..... then a clicking followed by nothing at all. I thought the connections were good as well as tight, but not good enough.

·
Registered
Ford 5000
45 Posts
There is a wire that is attached at the starter terminal (top of starter, large nut). That leads from there to the starter switch. It carries power from the battery to the ignition switch. Make sure the connection is tight at both ends. Disconnect one battery cable connection before trying to tighten either the starter wire end or the switch end. Once tighten, reconnect battery cable to battery and see if that fixes the problem. If you have original wiring it’s a Brown wire from starter to ignition switch and a White wire with Yellow strip back to the starter solenoid
Product Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts