Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I parked my 2120 the other day, went to start it today and it won’t even turn over. I can insert the key, turn it one click, get my dash lights to come on then when I try to crank it it won’t even turn over.
I read up and thought it was the neutral safety switch, checked continuity and didn’t have it. Pulled it out and took it apart cleaned all corrosion etc. Put it back in, have continuity MOST of the time. Tractor still won’t turn over at all with it plugged back in….thoughts? Pto was not engaged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum! Check to make sure the brake is on, and that your PTO is disengaged as well and that the gear shift is in neutral then try it.
All of the above were done. She didn’t turn over! It seems like something so simple I’m missing. Could it be ignition switch? I pulled the neutral switch all apart and cleaned it and has continuity aftwr re installing.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Clean up your battery cable connections on the battery terminals and also the connections on the other end. Especially the ground connection.

See if you can turn the engine over by turning the fan and push the belt in for better friction grip.

Try jumpering the battery cable connections on the solenoid with a screwdriver. Make sure the transmission is in neutral before doing this.

Post back if you need further help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bridge the wires at the starter to see if it cranks, this will bypass the ignition all safety switches.

If it cranks it's a switch.

If it will not crank it will be the battery, starter or cables.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bridge the wires at the starter to see if it cranks, this will bypass the ignition all safety switches.

If it cranks it's a switch.

If it will not crank it will be the battery, starter or cables.
Bridged the wires and it started up. So we then went to the switches…ignition seemed to be ok and we found what we thought was a bad relay on the firewall. My father in law stuck two screwdrivers in the sockets on the relay plug at one point and the tractor turned over with the key….bought a new relay came in yesterday. Installed it-this is with a jumper wire on my neutral safety switch, and it still didn’t start. Thoughts???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many vehicles over the yrs have suffered no start condition due to poor electrical conductivity due to poor connection between ground cable & vehicle frame
I checked the ground and it looks okay.. when I go to start the tractor the top two lights come on and the air filter light on bottom left and no crank. Could it be the Air filter sensor?
Motor vehicle Hood Gesture Automotive exterior Gadget

·
Registered
522 Posts
Did you disconnect/clean/tighten ground cable attaching point to frame or just visually inspect it? Also ground cable could be corroded inside of insulation loosing electrical conductivity. Next I suggest to "load test" battery

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
Exactly. 'Looking and physically removing and cleaning and brightening it are 2 different things entirely. Clean and brighten the battery clamps and posts as well.

When it comes to electron flow, you ALWAYS start with the basics. Start at the battery and work back. Don't assume anything untll your are 100% certain there are no high resistance connections and the juice is flowing like it should and don't ever assume a connection 'looks ok' because that is no indicator of if it is or not.

Easy to throw parts at an issue when in fact the issue is corrosion in the cables or connections.

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
Been my experience over the last 30 years that the most neglected part of any tractor or any vehicle for that matter is the starting battery, followed by the air filter and finally, the air pressure in the tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I parked my 2120 the other day, went to start it today and it won’t even turn over. I can insert the key, turn it one click, get my dash lights to come on then when I try to crank it it won’t even turn over.
I read up and thought it was the neutral safety switch, checked continuity and didn’t have it. Pulled it out and took it apart cleaned all corrosion etc. Put it back in, have continuity MOST of the time. Tractor still won’t turn over at all with it plugged back in….thoughts? Pto was not engaged.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I always start with my voltmeter. First I check to see battery voltage + & - on the battery .
if it is good ( 12 volts ) I go from the negetive battery terminal to first + (red) cable connnection
and check. For safety switch I go to ohm scale on meter and check across terminals .
I have a cheap little meter that I got at Harbor Freight .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts