Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My name is Randy Crumbaugh. I live in the mountains of Colorado. I bought a Ford 1910 with a loader just over 5 years ago. Life got a lot easier dealing with the snow at 7700' elevation level once I got a 4 wheel drive tractor with a loader.

Anyway, started having very slow and sluggish loader and 3 point hitch ( drag blade for the snow) last winter so I changed out the hydraulic fluid and filter. The fluid was dirty but didnt have any water in it. It all worked better but not as good as when I first bought it from the dealer. I am talking cold weather. Summer time it works great from the get go.

So yesterday I fired up the tractor to take the brush hog off and put on the rear blade and chains, change the engine oil etc. It started fine and lifted the brush hog nice and high right off and I moved it to the location of the drag blade and changed them out. Suddenly the rear blade ( which definatly isn't any heavier than that brush hog) barely lifted off the ground. I got it to the garage where the hydraulics quit working entirely. I checked my hydraulic dip stick and the level is fine and the fluid very clean.

I have been searching your forum for a solution and I what I come up with is probably a dirty transmission screen? Or a pump failure? Or an air lock possibly? Anybody have any ideals? Like I said, it worked right off when I went to move the tractor and change out the rear blade but now nothing at all. Absolutely no loader movement or 3 point hitch movement. Power steering seems to work fine. It seems to have been a sudden failure.

So first I will just try cleaning the transmission screen. I am looking for some instructions or a Youtube video of this procedure. Can anybody help?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So today I got the system drained and went to pull the Transmission Sump Screen hoping that it would be completed plugged up and that would prove to be my problem. Guess what? There is no sump screen where it is supposed to be. Just a big empty space. Now what? I suppose the only filtering going on is the Hydraulic Filter itself so I will replace that today if I can find one.

Let me back up a little. The first thing I tried when I got no hydraulics was to add more of the rans/Hryd. fuid. My dip stick showed exactly to the bottom of 2 lines on the dip stick. I added 2 gallons anyway waiting for the fluid to flow out of the left side overflow port to determine the exact right amount. It never came out of that port and now I was way over the line. So I drained it all. It came to just over 8 gallons. The manual calls for 7.4 gallons but since I have a loader and more hoses it makes sense that I needed more than that. So two things I can deduct for this is that I have been running at least 2 gallons low for the 5 years I have owned this tractor and that the dip stick is not the right one for this tractor.

Not sure what to do next. I will replace the front filter attached to the pump and add even more fluid and see if that works. Hopefully the main pump is not shot. That costs over $600.

Stay tuned but pitch in any hints or knowledge if you know something that can help.
Thanks,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay. I dont think anyone has seen my post yet. Hopefully that is why nobody had offered any help. I am not a mechanic but I do most things myself and usually have great results. I always watch everything I can find on the "University of YouTube". Please feel free to offer any advise.

·
Administrator
10,192 Posts
Hello Randy Crumbaugh. I think folks have seen your post, but may not be familiar with how to address your problem yet.
I'm thinking you may have popped an oring or something off of the piston that drives the three point hitch arms. You may need to look at a parts diagram and see what may be involved at getting at it under your seat. I'll look to see what I can find. In the mean time, there are a few good folks here that would be more experienced in these matters, and may jump in to offer ideas.
Sorry for the delay!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts