Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, I've got an 85 Ford 1910 4x4. The problem I'm having is this. Guy called me up and asked if I could put a rear seal and clutch it too of course. I was there that Saturday bright and early, had it split in no time. Now when it came apart i had about a gallon of hyd fluid pour out of bellhousing, which told me front input shaft needed to be replaced. I'll also add that the clutch discs came out in pieces and soaked in fluid. So when the new clutch and seal came in i went back together with it along with a new rear main seal, which I already had. Took about 30 mins, but it butted up smoothly. Fired it up, it ran for about 10 minutes. Got loader in position to pull tractor up. I noticed a small drip from bottom of bellhousing, I checked fluid level before starting back up. Added half a gallon. Pulled up to loader and fluid was now coming out pretty good from bottom until it started coming out of the starter. I shut it down pdq. I'm stumped because everything went right. I'm convinced that this is a previous problem, because of the amount of fluid when I split it. What could be forcing the hyd fluid into the bellhousing?? I apologize for the lack of pics, I can send for them if needed. Thanks a lot in advance

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
I believe this was answered elsewhere, but on these tractors it is necessary to replace the pilot bearing, the main shaft carrier bearings, and the seals at the same time. Any wobble in the jackshaft that passes through the clutch assembly will destroy the seal or seals on the transmission input shaft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i agree with RC i had same thing put new brgs w seal good after that for several years than sold----- seals start to leak if shaft has groove from seal rub over time making less contact with shaft to seal or seal gets wopped out from run out of shaft streaching retaining spring and rubber to let oil seep past sorry about more tear down but i always ask myself when something fails why and than look at what made it leak now

1 - 3 of 3 Posts