Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the ford 1720 that is in great shape and runs great. This week the tractor blew all it's oil out a 1/8 inch hole on the right side of the engine. The hole is about six inches to the right of the oil filter and is located just behind what appears to by a hydraulic pump. Ford dealer was puzzled so I am stuck right now. If I add oil, the tractor starts great but of course the oil continues to come out.

I thought the hole might be missing a plug, etc. but a friend has the same tractor and has the same hole on the side of his engine. Not sure what it is or why oil would be gushing out the hole. Does anyone know what might be happening? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello jfrew, welcome to the tractor forum.

Can you identify which hole you are referring to on the attached parts diagram?
Hello jfrew, welcome to the tractor forum.

Can you identify which hole you are referring to on the attached parts diagram?

New Holland 1720 - 3 CYL COMPACT TRACTOR 20 SERIES(01/87 - 04/02) Parts Diagrams
Thank you for your reply. The new holland dealer thought it was #4 (part #SBA064409006) but that clearly was not for the hole I am describing. As I mentioned, my friend has the same tractor and he also has the open hole.....no plug, etc. I was sure I needed a plug but that is not the case. I will attach two pics. The close up shows the hole. The other pic shows where it is located in relation to the oil filter. It is actually 6 inches to the right of the oil filter post. Sorry I can't be more helpful on the schematic. Hope the pics help.
New Holland 1720 - 3 CYL COMPACT TRACTOR 20 SERIES(01/87 - 04/02) Parts Diagrams
1720 pic.jpg right side of 1720.jpg
1720 pic.jpg
right side of 1720.jpg
1720 pic.jpg
right side of 1720.jpg
1720 pic.jpg
right side of 1720.jpg

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
OK, I think that hole is where plug #45 goes. It's a 1/8" NPT threaded plug. P/N SBA064409006. Your tractor was made in Japan, and the thread on that plug may be an American NPT or it may be a British pipe thread?? They aren't the same, not compatible. I've been thru this before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts