Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 1983 Ford 1310 out to start the mowing season. I think something pierced the area of the shaft today while I was mowing that I have indicated in the attached photos.

1) Is anyone able to confirm that this hole is not meant to be there? (It was leaking fluid so I have to believe this is not supposed to be there.)

2) Does anyone know if I can patch this with an over-the-counter product and novice skills?

3) If it's not an amateur job, does anyone know if it can be welded on-site by a pro? Or removed and welded maybe?

4) Finally, if a new shaft "tube" is required is that something that an amateur like me can do?

Thanks very much in advance for indulging these questions. Oh, and what fluid runs in this? Engine oil, which I just changed this morning, or something else?

Automotive tire Blue Hood Road surface Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
64 Posts
It seems to be a rather involved fix.
Drop the rear box or unbolt front axle to get that out.
Is it just a sheild for the driveline inside it?

Is the tube bent and the driveline rubbed a hole through it?

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
Going out on a limb here and saying you either have a leaking pinion seal on the FWA axle or a leaking seal on the transfer box on the gearcase. On both my Kubota's the driveshaft runs in a tube like yours but runs dry. There is no oil inside it. You need to determine what lubricant is leaking, that will tell you which seal is leaking.

Maybe the Ford is different but I don't believe it is. Could be wrong however,

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts

The above will give you a breakdown on your front axle when you scan through to the relevant section, I would be more inclined to think the oil leak is coming from either the crankshaft rear oil seal or the transmission input shaft oil seal seeing that the flywheel housing drain sits over the front drive shaft very close to the hole and there are oil drops hanging from that housing, the colour of the oil suggests the rear crankshaft oil seal might be leaking, the hole doesn't look to be punched in, more like wear from rubbing from the internal drive shaft.

You could patch this with some light gauge tin, a jam tin maybe and use 2 or 3 hose clamps to hold in place, place the tightening section up above the cover to stop these from being grabbed by passing objects.

Rectangle Font Parallel Drawing Slope

Organism Font Auto part Parallel Art

The cunning mothers wouldn't allow me to get the full screen shot so if you want, save both to desktop and print out and join, that is up to you, but that should be your parts breakdown, if you save to desktop, you then should be able to enlarge the diagrams.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A simple patch is my recomendation.

My jd has a similar tube..its plastic...2 piece telescopic.

There should be no oil in the tube...its there to keep grass and such from wrapping around drive line.

WHY the hole is there is the queastion.

Nothing poked it...is it worn through from the inside??
This would indicate perhaps a bad U joint or drive line is Bent..

Simple science here......needs simple answers

·
772 Posts
It looks to me like that would be item #4 which is a driveshaft tube. Which to me would just be a guard for the driveshaft.
The hole could have been manufactured that way.
The oil on it looks like leakage from above.
Is the front differential using oil. It looks like it has a pinion shaft seal and transmission output seal.
If a seal is leaking looks like it could be a pain to fix having to detach the front axle bolster to move the front axle away from the front drive output.

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
This would indicate perhaps a bad U joint or drive line is Bent..
As a rule, there are no U-Joints in a front driveshaft because there is no suspension to articulate, hence the driveshaft has no flex at all. The 'cover' is just that a protective cover. My Kubota's are like that as well but the front and rear piece's have fixing screws and the internal shaft has a splined coupling in it as a wear point which is replaceable. Just replaced one.

if there is oil dripping from the hole (that is hard to ascertain because the bottom side is filthy), then it's a seal issue at one end of the drive shaft or the other.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know how the Kubota system works....Own oine.

This looks like it hits the front axle a bit lower.....front axle pivots.

Seems like there would be a u joint at each end....Like my deere...perhaps not.

Deere has a very similar but plastic shroud...It telescopes/collapses so you can grease u-joints ..then stretch it back out and secure with a $40 deere hose clamp.

Odd place for a hole....probly had a rubber plug in it at one time maybe.

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
Pivot and articulate are 2 distinctly different movements. Unless the tractor has lateral movement in the FWA unit, U joints are not necessary, no suspension equals no articulation and the placement of the front driveshaft tube is entirely dependent on the design of the front axle and gears. No Kubota that I know of unless it's one of the new high power ag tractors with front suspension they are now offering have universal joints in the FWA drive shaft, all they have is the hardened coupling secured via a roll pin and it's only purpose is to absorb the minimal lateral movement the front driveline experiences during operation and is replaceable like I stated earlier on (if you had bothered to read my comment). I's a 50 buck dealer only item and when it wears, the front drive will experience a 'ratcheting' sound. It's heat treated to be soft so the hardened and stress relieved splines on the 2 drive shaft sections don't experience spline wear which would entail a costly replacement.

Been running Kubota tractors for over 35 years now. I know them pretty well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
White Light Product Organism Font

One of many Flip

Don't be an ass. Yes I read your post..Do your homework.

Kubotas have U joints .( maybe yours is different)...This is a random pic.
Mine is different ..still has u-joints

This ford probly does too.... OOOhh look ..Part # 6.. in the Manual pages above several posts up.......U-joint.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Download the Manual...Follow His link.

Paragraph 5 ..part # 6.......link is for 1310....Apparently a 1710..is a straight through the pivot system.
Thought I'd seen it all.

They exist.....done here if its all a squabble fest.... I don't care whos right or perhaps misguided
The focus here is to try and help.
Its odd how different manufacturers find odd ways of achieving the same result...Some seem over engineered.

Flip......What models are your Kubotas..I know they are the Larger series..I forget the Model #'s

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The above will give you a breakdown on your front axle when you scan through to the relevant section, I would be more inclined to think the oil leak is coming from either the crankshaft rear oil seal or the transmission input shaft oil seal seeing that the flywheel housing drain sits over the front drive shaft very close to the hole and there are oil drops hanging from that housing, the colour of the oil suggests the rear crankshaft oil seal might be leaking, the hole doesn't look to be punched in, more like wear from rubbing from the internal drive shaft.

You could patch this with some light gauge tin, a jam tin maybe and use 2 or 3 hose clamps to hold in place, place the tightening section up above the cover to stop these from being grabbed by passing objects.

View attachment 78484

View attachment 78485

The cunning mothers wouldn't allow me to get the full screen shot so if you want, save both to desktop and print out and join, that is up to you, but that should be your parts breakdown, if you save to desktop, you then should be able to enlarge the diagrams.

Thanks for this, FredM. I was away for a few days this week and came to a similar concept of doing a simple patch with tin and/or some high-heat rubber. But, with the consensus here that there is not likely lubricant inside the shaft cover, I don't know that the rubber is even needed. I am going to patch this, clean everything up thoroughly, and look for the source of the leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, everyone, for chiming in. I have no idea what may have caused the hole. It's an interesting idea presented here that it could be there on purpose and I am only noticing it because of an adjacent leak as considered by some of you here. I appreciate the help. I'm not that experienced or knowledgeable on these matters so this is very helpful to get me on a few tracks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I see I am a little late chiming in , I have the same tractor there's no oil and no hole in the tub, I have a spare tub you can have if you will pay shipping, I have had mine out you will need to roll the front part of the tractor way from the block about a foot and the drive shaft and tub can be replaced. Reply to this post and I send you my #. Tony

1 - 16 of 16 Posts