Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I just got a 1952 MH 22 a few weeks ago. I like to start with clean fluids so that I can get to know what Im about to restore. Last week, I changed the engine oil and filter. Plus new ignition plugs, rotor, cap, points, condenser, and wires made their way on my toy as well.

Today, my son and I drained the transmission. NASTY whitish brown stuff rolled out. We drained as best we could, filled with kerosene, drove around for a few minutes, drained that and filled with new fluid.

We then drained the diff. The fluid actually looked better, but still not what I would expect differential lube to look like. Hard telling when it was last changed.

Question, should I drain the water in the radiator and fill with 50/50 antifreeze?

Steve:usaflag:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by Steve
As some of you know, I just got a 1952 MH 22 a few weeks ago. I like to start with clean fluids so that I can get to know what Im about to restore. Last week, I changed the engine oil and filter. Plus new ignition plugs, rotor, cap, points, condenser, and wires made their way on my toy as well.

Today, my son and I drained the transmission. NASTY whitish brown stuff rolled out. We drained as best we could, filled with kerosene, drove around for a few minutes, drained that and filled with new fluid.

We then drained the diff. The fluid actually looked better, but still not what I would expect differential lube to look like. Hard telling when it was last changed.

Question, should I drain the water in the radiator and fill with 50/50 antifreeze?

Steve:usaflag:
NASTY whitish brown stuff is the indication of water contamination , usually caused by a deteriorated shift lever boot while it has been sitting outside in the WX. rain and etc!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey GQ thanks for that tip. I didnt know that. Archdean, I think you are correct. Even though the person I bought the tractor from kept it in a barn, it probably spent some time outside at nights. It does not have a shift boot right now. I will get one though. thanks again.

steve:usaflag:

·
Registered
317 Posts
My daddy in the old days used rain water caught in a barrel under the valley of the house roof. With so much fall out today I really don't think I would do that. I wouldn't worry agout using tap water if it has been through the water softner.
:D Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts