Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW:) :) :) :) There was a local waterfront festival around our airport today. I was helping the museum organize the avaition exhibit at the airport. We had a Grumman Albatross Amphibious Flying Boat dock in thew water across from the airport, where the event was. What a crowd pleaser. THe crew needed to rinse the Bay water from the plane before they flew it home. I coordinated that and got to takeoff from the water. What a great experience. I've flown in small floatplanes before, but this was outstanding. The crew was the most laid bac gang I have ever met when it comes to old aircraft. I've called all of my interested friends and I just had to tell somebody else. Boy am I happy!!!:) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I'm excited for you!!
Dean

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice Dean, We had a Cessna 206 and a T-Craft too. We were supposed to have a few more floatplanes, butthe morning weather beat us up a little.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
That must of been one heck of an experance. No matter what newer, more advanced palnes you can fly, you get in to something like that, and it is just a work of art. There you have something that a true craftsman bult. I would have loved to just SEE it take off, much less be in, or fly it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Glad you got the chance to experience a vintage aircraft. That's something you'll never forget.

"Top Gun" just left this week. They've been here for the last 2-weeks giving rides (for a fee) in their T-6 Texans (had 3 of 'em here). Love to hear the chop of them old radials.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man it WAS awesome. The Collings Foundation B-24 and B-17 were there as well as a local B-25. The B-25 and Albatross ave very short exhaust stacks, so the report from those stacks is a great sound. All kind of popping and chattering. Im gonna have a woody for a week. Although you all really don't need to know that.:) :) :)

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
What a treat to get to fly in such a great airplane! I love old aircraft, and especially the sound of the old radial engines. That is what an airplane is supposed to sound like.
:F4:

·
Registered
126 Posts
If the "Top Gun" crew ever gets in your area & if you can possibly afford it, go up with them.
It's a bit pricy ($194.00 for 20 min, $300.00 for 60 min) but well worth it! You also get a bunch of pics of before & after the flight & the rudder has a camcorder mounted on it.
You get the pics on a cd & a tape of the flight. You get to fly the aircraft (previous exp not required, but it helps!), do aerobatics & dogfight. When you score a kill, it smokes.

The T-6 is a 600 HP trainer & it's pretty light compared to its size. If at all possible, they like to take off & land on sod runways because it's a lot easier on the gear & tires. These guys love to fly & it shows. There were 3 of them here, one was down for a 100 hr inspection (their 100 hour insp is like doing an annual insp) but the other two were going strong (1 was a 1945 the other a 1944). And yes, the first thing in the morning, they turned them over by hand. This got the oil going, cleared out the lower jug & they didn't smoke much when started.
Love to hear that rough idle.......They'll be back next year!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Last year I went to Airventure at Oshkosh. Anybody that goes there knows that you DO NOT touch any aircraft unless the owner is present & gives permission. This guy had an absolutely perfect F-4U Corsair tied down, settin there lookin pretty & some jerk walks up to it & just climbs up onto the wing....We were all just dumbfounded for a couple of seconds,,,,then the crowd started to yell get the hell off of there! He jumped off & left before the crowd lynched him or the owner killed him. There were 12 or 13 P-51 Mustangs flying also. Warbird row,,,,just smell the fumes. If anybody's interested I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree, A Radial will wake you up....... a few years ago i heard a BIG one......... ran outside and looked up, It was a Ford Tri-Motor landing at our airport, I grabbed my camera and was there before he climbed out of it,. it was an old man, named Richard Cheney, said Lindburg had once been the pilot of it..... he brought it in for Airport day........... what an adventure:cheers:

·
Registered
209 Posts
There's an F4 Corsair that lives here on Amelia Island at the Fernandina Beach Airport. We're between two runways in a small industrial park.

______________________ :F4:__________________________
When that baby goes over us swinging that big prop....the WHOLE building shakes from the sound of that big radial!

Bet it had to have scared hell out of the enemy when one would swoop down with guns open...:hide:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
There is NO sound like the sound of them old radial engines. NOTHING!!

I hope this works for all of you!
Dean

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
ummmmmmm.........
Spits didn't have radials........haven't researched it but my old memory seems to recollect they had rolls? or some such big v-12's
.....:warplanes

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by Neil_nassau
ummmmmmm.........
Spits didn't have radials........haven't researched it but my old memory seems to recollect they had rolls? or some such big v-12's
.....:warplanes
Your right I started out with H34's Will produce some better sounds for you!
Dean

1 - 16 of 16 Posts