Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an insectide that I could either spray or use in my rotary spreader that will kill fleas and ticks?
I was thinking of using turf builder with insect control but after reading the bag I've decided that I don't want to kill every insect known to man. The turf builder combination kills just about every insect including worms. I really don't want to kill the good with the bad and would rather the birds did't eat poisoned worms. The areas that seem to be giving me the most problem are where the english ivy is growing. I know it's a haven for fleas but I can't seem to keep 2 of the dogs out of it. Any suggestions on what i could use? Eventually, I'll rip out all the ivy but for now it would be easier to spray something.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Most everything I have seen or heard of will kill pretty much everything. You can look a t the big box stores they have a pretty good selection. As far as organic type stuff I am clueless! Maybe someone else has some better insite!!!Bye

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Just treat the dogs. There is aproduct that makes the fleas sterile, and also keeps em off the dog. It takes a few life cycles to start working its best on fleas but none of my 6 dogs have had fleas in over 8 years now. Does a great job on ticks as well. Once you break the life and reproduction cycles of the flea they will cease to exist. I don't really know what the name of the stuff the wife uses on our fur babies, and she is not home right now, but I do know the only treatment was applied directly to the dogs, nothing done outside or in the house and we are flea free. My place is a perfect environment for them as well.......hot sandy soils, and also hot humid areas. Of course our dogs do not run all over the country and are restricted to our propery, and other dogs are not around so we evidently broke the cycle. Our dogs spend a good portion of the day and sometimes the night outside in the yard. Its pretty strange not to see a dog scratching:D

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chip
I think you are referring to frontline. It comes in a small tube and you place on the dog's skin between the shoulders where they can't lick at it. I just used it on five of the six last week. The one male, the father, is a typical chow. They usually bond before 8months and he was almost a year, after that they are usually un-adoptable. We found him full grown roaming the streets and he had been abused. He had a choker collar imbedded in his neck and a serious infection. Anytime I try to do something to him in an area he can't see he will bite. It takes some patience and coaxing to get things done with him.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
6 Chows,

I've used Frontline before and it seems to work well too. Easy to apply and lasts.

I got my current "Tommy", a german shepard/golden lab mix out of Animal Control. He was on his 3rd day and was scheduled to be put to sleep the next morning. He was caught roaming around at about 6 - 8 months old, had been abused and his choker collar had to be cut off. Another couple weeks and he would have choked to death. He is a great dog, definitely "my dog", but loves the whole family. He is very touchy about his front feet and ears. I think the kids in his first family used to pull them and he still hates to have them touched.

Have you tried citrus juice or garlic around the ivy?

Greg

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
dittos to the frontline...
also instead of paying 17$ per dose at the vet (I think that was what they wanted) i ought it on line (ebay) for about 1/2 of that...

it works pretty well

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greg
I never heard of using citrus juice or garlic. How do use them? Sprinkle some juice in it I guess? What about the garlic, cut it up and spread it around?
I've used frontline before also and it seems to work OK but it's not an instant killer so when the dogs roll around in the ivy they tend to pick up some fleas. The problem with chows is the thick double coat, once a flea or tick finds its way to their skin it's virtually undetectable. You don't really know they have one until they start ripping their fur out, and by then they're really aggitated. One thing you don't want to deal with is a pissed off chow.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
6 chows,

For citrus juice, you can get the bottled stuff at the supermarket and spray the ground periodically. Powdered garlic can also work, just sprinkle around...or get some garlic cloves, peal off the dry harder skin and plant them in front of the ivy. They grow quickly.

It it turns out they like the stinky garlic, you'll have to step back and punt! :D

Greg

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg
It seems I misunderstood. The citrus juice and garlic is to repel the dogs? It might work with other breeds, but I highly doubt it will work with chow chows. They would more than likely be attracted to it. They already eat garlic and the father will drink orange or pineapple juice if allowed. This ancient breed actually descended from bears. In fact they share their blue tongue with polar bears. When pups are born they actually have two extra teeth which classifies them as bears. It's not until they lose two of these teeth as they mature that they actually fall into the canine classification. They are very different from any dog I have ever owned and extremely intelligent. The main problem with chows is their aloofness. They really don't like being told what to do, so they must be handled firmly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts