Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After rebuilding the carb, checking head gasket (replaced with new) and checking the valves if they were seating etc, I still ha dno luck in getting this engine to run without it being wide open and also with the choke fully closed..Since I just rebuilt the carb, and would swear my life on it that it was ok, I decided to pull the side cover off. Lo and behold the plastic governor gear with flyweights was busted. Since I went to town eary this AM, I also picked up a side cover gasket as well as a new governor gear, just incase, as the dealer said I could return them if not needed.
So now it run and starts just fine, no popping and back firing and it is fully adjustable in speed over its entire range of throttle movement. SUPER!
However.........I seem to be having a lot of vapors from the crankcase breather, that I did not notice prior to my engine problems when it over reved. While I had the cylinder head off the walls appeared to be fine, but now I am getting a lot of pressure and vapors out of the breather. I wonder if its possible to crack an oil ring etc when it over reved, but I would think a compression ring if something was to crack would crack first but it runs too good to have low compression. Another thing I thought may be doing it, sinced it had to run on full choke before the fix, I could have diluted my crankcase oil with some gas making it lighter and it may be burning out of the sump, or perhaps I may not have the proper level of oil. I have no manual, but on some engines it says to check with the dipstick setting on top of the fill tube without screwing it in, and on others its supposed to be screwed in..........but I do know know on this engine , so I may have a bit too much oil in it.

Any thoughts as to running 40wt HD in this engine. It gets awfully hot here in Alabama, and if it is using or blowing oil from a ring perhaps 40 wt may curb it a bit. Just a thought on the oil weight.

Any ideas on crankcase pressure and vapors from the breather tube appreciated. It may be perfectly normal, I don't know, as I have never really fooled with a Techumseh to any extent........seems that brand and ZI do not see eye to eye.

No oil flow etc is coming from the breather tube, just a light vapor and you can feel pressure......so perhaps it needs a new breather assembly.........

Regards

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It may solve the issue going to the 40wt, BUT it will also more than likely cause your engine to work harder and possibly shorten its life.

Best bet would be to fix all the problems rather than cover them up with temporary fixes. Do it right the first time.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Yup leolav is right. Unless you are just trying to just get another week or two out of it, I would fix it. The 40w is just a crutch, it will not "fix" anything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
According to the manual – a breather passing oil (I’d also include “heavy” breathing)

1) Oil level too high
2) Excessive RPM
3) Damaged gaskets, seals, or “O” rings
4) Breather damaged, dirty, or improperly installed
5) Piston rings not properly seated or ring end gaps are aligned
6) Angle of operation too severe

I agree with others -- stay away from the 40 weight.

Jay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts