Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not so much the damage Ivan did but the consolidation of equipment and resources in areas. There is more utility type trucks (bucket and aerial ) setting in the three large shopping center parking lots than I have ever seen in one place in my lifetime. One mall is aboutshut down as the shops all moved to a new and better area of town, so basically the entire parking lot is available. The other places is the old vacated Wal Mart and the Kmart which are essentially side by side.......Kmart was turned into a comand post for the Red Cross and FEMA folks as well as a shelter for the homeless. Outside in the lot is nothing but trailer after trailer of food and such......no tractors, just parked trailers.

The Wal Mart lot has dozens and dozens of single wide mobile homes in it, and more coming in as well.

But the Main malls parking lot with allthat equipment is astonishing. It literally looks like an outside wharehouse. Hundred of power poles, spools of wire, piles of insulators etc etc, and I counted 19 tree chipppers in a row. Off to one side is probably what amount to 2 dozen or so charter type busses.....Was told that since there is no place in the lower south to stay and such, they are moving equipment and supplies into place and using charter busses to transport the utility crews etc to jobsites etc, so they can get back to Montgomery for a bed and a meal. Its amazing how many different states utility / power / tree companies are in that parking lot. There is supposed to be double that amount n the state fair coleseum area across the other side of town. Two giant staging areas getting ready to put a hurt on the damages from old Ivan.

The wife told me they shipped out 43 trailer loads of nothing but bottled water and ice last night from their warehouse (Winn-Dixie) and so far there is 11 stores of theirs in the panhandle that are totally wiped out. Just the bottled water and ice W/D has been shipping exceeds what general products they normally send down to their stores on a routine restock basis. Very little in the line of frozen goods or such is being sent, mainly just the basic staples and food requiring no refrigeration.

It must be a logisticians nightmare, keeping track of all that stuff, and who owes who for what in the end.......There is a constant flow of the utility crews all heading south..........not a lot of traffic heading north on I 65 as there was last week this time though! Actually there is very little north bound traffic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A neighbor of mine up here in Vermont is a power company line man. about 2 or 3 weeks ago he went down to Florida to help restore the electricity after Hurricane Frances. Last Sunday I saw his wife at church and she says that in a few more days he may be sent over your way to Alabama to deal with Ivan's mess. It's amazing how far they're pullling people from to get this work done. But from what I've heard, it's not so much repairing the damage to the electric system, it's completely rebuilding the entire system from scratch.

I hope you and all your neighbors will have all the basic services restored soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts