Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just bought an old Massey Ferguson tractor that I want to fully restore. Why? Simply because I want to understand all the mechanics of the machine. The reason? Because I know nothing about it

I had my first ever ride on a tractor today and it took me a while to figure out how to start it but I got it running.

I was hoping that some of you might be able to help me identify exactly which model it is and from which year so I can start buying parts.

The numbers on the side of the tractor reads (as far as I can see):

FE35
SHM254909
189459MI

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
We're in the same boat. I knew nothing about tractors or diesels, and have been building cars and race cars for the last 28 years.

I inherited some land and needed a tractor. I went slightly more modern than your MF but still a lot of work. I ended up with a 31 year old tractor with every system broken.

8 weeks into this I'm still in parts and dealing with getting a decent motor, and guts for the PTO.

All I'll say is prepare for a long haul if you are going for a full restoration. I do think that in the end you'll have a machine that will last generations. Good luck, and prepare to open your wallet :)

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Hacke -- carby jetted for high altitude operation -- set to run leaner (smaller jets) because of the thinner air.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We're in the same boat. I knew nothing about tractors or diesels, and have been building cars and race cars for the last 28 years.

I inherited some land and needed a tractor. I went slightly more modern than your MF but still a lot of work. I ended up with a 31 year old tractor with every system broken.

8 weeks into this I'm still in parts and dealing with getting a decent motor, and guts for the PTO.

All I'll say is prepare for a long haul if you are going for a full restoration. I do think that in the end you'll have a machine that will last generations. Good luck, and prepare to open your wallet :)
Yes I think it is going to take a long time. The first problem is not even any of the problems with it. The first problem is to locate and diagnose all the problems

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing on the dash?

According to a pdf at http://fergusontractors.org/nfs/
the Serial Number prefix means:
S - Standard/Utility Chassis
H - High-altitude Gasoline (whatever that means...)
M - Dual-stage Clutch
This is what remains on the dash. The bottom plate is almost unreadable.

The top plate reads:
GENERAL REPRESENTANT
NORDISK TRACTOR COMPANY
BORGMESTER CHRISTIANSENS GADE 56 (or 55) KBHVN SV

KBHVN SV is Copenhagen Southwest

The top plate I almost can't read. The first line reads "Massey Ferguson" and the very bottom line reads "SHM 254 909".

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
The first thing you need to do is buy all the manuals for it.

Parts Manual
Service Manual
Operators Manual

and any other manual you can find associated with it. Sometimes manuals are available for just the engine or just the hydraulic system. Buy everything you can find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone, trying to replace a carburetor, solenoid on old carburetor has only one red wire, new solenoid has a receptacle with two prongs, can someone tell me which prong is positive and which prong is negative? (male connector has two wires, red and black, and fits both ways, red wire on the left or on the right)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone, trying to replace a carburetor, solenoid on old carburetor has only one red wire, new solenoid has a receptacle with two prongs, can someone tell me which prong is positive and which prong is negative? (male connector has two wires, red and black, and fits both ways, red wire on the left or on the right)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts