Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am a first time tractor owner of an IH 684 and have a problem that I need to fix. It has a leak and as far as I can see it’s the pipe that runs across the back of the battery tray. I was told by the last owner it was a fuel return pipe and it had had a repair after rubbing on something. It was repaired with some rubber pipes and jubilee clips. I then noticed when I had the topper on it was dropping out and the PTO drive seemed to lose pressure stopping the cutter. Then after a while I noticed it was leaking more from the pipe and when I pressed the brake pedal it shot fluid up the screen. I assume the brakes are hydraulic and the pipe needs replacing. My question is would this affect the PTO pressure and stop the implement working ? I have tried to look in the manual but cannot seem to find the part in the diagrams and need to know what the part number is so I can try to find a replacement. So if any of you have any ideas it would be very much appreciated.

·
Administrator
11,228 Posts
Hello Jack. Can you post a picture or two? Can you tell if the original owners repair has a fuel smell to it? I'm just wondering if you have a couple of different issues on the go here.
Messicks has a parts break down with pictures and part numbers that may offer some information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I
Hello Jack. Can you post a picture or two? Can you tell if the original owners repair has a fuel smell to it? I'm just wondering if you have a couple of different issues on the go here.
Messicks has a parts break down with pictures and part numbers that may offer some information.
Hi Pogobill
It looks very much like number 12 in the diagram if thats the one that runs behind the battery. Are the brakes hydraulic ? If so wouldn’t any leak reduce the pressure in the hydraulic system ? When running if I stop the pressure builds and the pto runs ok
Human body Font Parallel Rectangle Elbow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
1,443 Posts
No offence, but I would suggest at least a mild cleaning of some some sort. I'd be removing some panels, emptying a can or two of brake cleaner and spending some time with compressed air. If you have access to a pressure washer, even better. Then maybe you can better determine what the leak is. If it's that line with the coil, where is it leaking? If it's just one bad/worn spot, you can probably cut that damage out and install a brass compression tube union. You may not need to locate a replacement line. As it looks now, you may have multiple leaks, how would you know?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No offence, but I would suggest at least a mild cleaning of some some sort. I'd be removing some panels, emptying a can or two of brake cleaner and spending some time with compressed air. If you have access to a pressure washer, even better. Then maybe you can better determine what the leak is. If it's that line with the coil, where is it leaking? If it's just one bad/worn spot, you can probably cut that damage out and install a brass compression tube union. You may not need to locate a replacement line. As it looks now, you may have multiple leaks, how would you know?
No offence taken and the cleanup task is something I am doing and thanks for your advice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts