Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 2 years and many honey do items later, I am finally moving into my shop. birthdaywi

I have had my stuff "in" the shop but have never had the time to get it organized. We bought the place in Feb '02 and work began, 2 bedrooms, family room, laundry room, storage room and communications room started within a month of moving in. Then of course summer roled around and there were flowers to plant, gardens to prep and house to paint, now that the "addition" looked so good. I also have started installing a fence around the property, clearing out some trees and a host of other honey do projects.

I told the wife "the month of june is MINE". I am going to get moved into my shop. Get it organized and clean. I have started hanging peg board and will be adding shelves galore.

Boy do I dread the 1st day of July, cuz I am back on HER clock.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And another

BTW, where can I find some metal drawers on slides to mount to the underside of my work bench? I know I have seen them but HD and Lowes think I am crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Man that is bigger than my house!!! Just kidding, that will make a great shop. If you can keep it cleaned up, that is my problem.

I havn't seen drawers like that either sorry! Good luck in July!:D

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
that looks nice ps, so that building will be all shop? no vehicle storage.. nice... is the back wall all cinder blocks?

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
:homereat: HHmmmmmmmmmmm.... pretty!

It looks bigger than my house and I'm NOT kidding! My house is 24' x 36'. As to your drawers, do they have to be metal? You can buy the drawer slides at Home Depot or mail order (cheaper) and attach them to wooden drawers you build yourself. Or you can do what I did and get decent quality 2 drawer file cabinets with the drawers fully suspended from Staples or OfficeMax. (I got mine used for very cheap!)

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
psrumors
do you have a Grainger there they have metal drawers there. And thats a big shop looks good.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The building is 32' X 40'. There is a small office with desk in the corner, you can see the window in the corner. I can see the shop from my desk. I tele-commute so this will be my office, instead of the dining room, as soon as I can get air conditioning (only the office).

The shop is all mine, no vehicle storage, with the exception of bicycles. I will have a small building for bike and yard toys soon I hope.

The entire shop is concrete block, which has it's pros and cons. Before this all I had was a gravel drive and a 8 x 10 building. I look foward to many years and projects in this building.

The drawers at Grainger look great, not quite what I have seen in the past but I should be able to make work. Thanks for the info.

I will post picks as the project comes together......I hope it comes together.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I would have a hard time getting work done and not out in the shop doing something else! I am sure you will enjoy it! Here is to your new shop, a mans castle and kingdom!:cheers:

Until we wake up from our dream!:hide:

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Nice looking shop psrumors....I take it that there is no need to insulate for cold weather in your part of the country... You mentioned that the block had its pros and cons...I'd be interested in hearing these...It's nice to have a place of your own, for doing those manly things that us guys do...Ugh Ugh more power!:D

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well argee, the main pro is I shouldn't ever have to worry about it going anywhere. This thing is built on a monolithic (spelling) pad and the first row of blocks were set prior to the pad being fully cured with rebar up through 3 rows of block and poured concrete throught the first 3 rows of block. I am unsure if a tornadoe could come throught the building.

The cons, everything that gets mounted to a wall is not a pain but not pleasure. I want to add a couple windows which means cutting block, ugly job. All gas pipes I am going to run for heat have to be exposed. If I did want to insulate I would have to fur all of the walls.

I can't say I would go with a stick built but......you know the saying about the grass being green and all that angus.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
How thick of insulation are you going to go with? What kind of cold weather do you get in your area of Georgia? You could run the gas lines through the trusses and drop down through an unfinished interior wall. On the walls you may want to consider firring with that pink insulboard...I think it'll give you around an R-5.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
For insulation, you can also fill the block cores with loose insulating material. Sure is a nice building! Did you build it off an available set of plans or was it made to your spec?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Let me see……
No insulation, exposed block walls, exposed ceiling joists, need’s
additional windows, oh and exposed gas piping. Hmmmmmmm

I’ll would love to have it, just the way it is (just need to add the refrig)
32 x 40 toy box, It doesn’t get much better that. :thumbsup:

My building lot is maxed out, so I can’t add another building.
I should leave here, pick up 10 acres in PA near bontai Joe
and leave the Long Island R.E. tax’s to Duc.
nodeal

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The building was built when we bought the place. It was built and designed by the previous owner. When he got his new house built he built on with the same basic design, only bigger and taller.

I don't plan on isulating cause I don't want to spend the money to fir the walls. I will isnulate the ceiling with a board type insulation at the roof line to try to hold some heat.

I am not complaining by no means, i have had it worse and wouldn't want to go back.

Thanks for all the compliments.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
That will make a nice workshop. Our old garage was block. Couple of things I liked about it was it tended to be a little cooler during the summer and could be cleaned with a garden hose without damage. I have seen them blow insulation into the core around here on commercial buildings. I don't know how the cost or R value would compare to other methods though.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by aegt5000
My building lot is maxed out, so I can’t add another building.
I should leave here, pick up 10 acres in PA near bontai Joe
and leave the Long Island R.E. tax’s to Duc.
nodeal

Other side of the coin for me. I have the spot on my land all picked out,[found the "spot" first day working on the land when we got it:D ] Just no room in the budjet to build it:mad: Maybe one of these days.

PS looks great. looks like a great place to get things done in.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Man, that is awesome. I personally think it would look funny though with fur on the walls. It'd look like a huntin' camp. :D

No really, I myself wouldn't be too concerned with insulation with where you live, but you might be as cold at 60 as we up here in Ohio are at 40. I'd get a propane convection heater, and be done with it. It doesnt get that cold in Cartersville. As long as Im moving around, I have found 50 degrees to be bearable.

Also, I have been through Cartersville many times between Ohio and Florida. Cartersville does not like me. I have been stranded there when a buddies newer Olds suddenly quit running. Not many shops open there at midnight. I also broke my muffler loose once on a trip from hell, and pulled off I-75 to get a room at the Holiday Inn, muffler dragging the whole way. I broke the muffler loose, walked next door to a gas station, threw the muffler and tailpipe in the dumpster, then went back to the hotel, and straight to the lounge. I continued on the next morning with a headache and a loud exhaust.

Anyway, nice looking shop! I like the chain hoist. And as for mounting something heavy into a block wall, Tapcon screws are awesome.

Enjoy it!
Greg

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, here is what I have got done so far. For drawers I am using Craftsman Intermediate boxes mounted under the work bench. I will have 3 26" and a 40" when I am through.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts